Trump administration sued over warrantless searches
The Trump administration violated the U.S. constitution by searching phones and laptops of American travelers at the border without a search warrant, a lawsuit filed Wednesday alleged, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed the suit in a Boston, Massachusetts U.S. District Court on behalf of 10 U.S. citizens and one permanent resident.
The suit names Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Acting Secretary Elaine Duke as the defendant alongside Acting Commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Kevin McAleenan and Acting Director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Thomas Homan.
It alleges that the 11 travelers of various backgrounds had their laptops and phones searched at the border by DHS in a practice the ACLU described as "fast-growing".
The suit seeks to have authorities receive warrants based on probable cause before carrying out the searches. It is also challenging the confiscations of the devices for periods lasting weeks or months, the ACLU said.
“The government cannot use the border as a dragnet to search through our private data,” ACLU attorney Esha Bhandari said in a statement.
“Our electronic devices contain massive amounts of information that can paint a detailed picture of our personal lives, including emails, texts, contact lists, photos, work documents, and medical or financial records. The Fourth Amendment requires that the government get a warrant before it can search the contents of smartphones and laptops at the border.”
A military veteran, journalists, students, an artist and a NASA engineer are among the plaintiffs. Several are Muslims or people of color, the ACLU said.
One of the plaintiffs, Akram Shibly, was physically restrained by customs agents at the U.S.-Canadian border after refusing to hand over his phone, which was subsequently taken from his pocket and searched for over an hour, the ACLU alleged.
He previously gave agents the phone when crossing into Canada three days earlier, the rights group said.
“I joined this lawsuit so other people don’t have to go through what happened to me,” Shibly said in the ACLU's statement. “Border agents should not be able to coerce people into providing access to their phones, physically or otherwise.”
Customs and Border Protection, which falls under DHS, has conducted searches of almost 15,000 electronic devices in the first half of the 2017 fiscal year. The number puts CBP on pace to triple the total number of searches in fiscal year 2015, according to the ACLU.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017UN says ongoing Daesh threat needs to be annihilated
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 14.09.2017Training accident leaves 15 US marines injured at Camp Pendleton
- 14.09.2017Gunman in Washington state high school shooting was student - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Trump administration orders purge of Kaspersky products from U.S. government
- 13.09.2017US notes positively Mehman Aliyev’s release
- 13.09.2017U.N.'s Guterres calls on Myanmar to end violence
- 13.09.2017Trump likely to visit China during November Asia trip: U.S. official