Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
Trump tweeted that the former president had been spying on him in October, a month before his election victory.
'Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my 'wires tapped' in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!'
McCarthyism, which the president used in his first tweet, is the practice of making accusations of subversion or treason without proper regard for evidence.
Trump started tweeting shortly after 3.30am ET and posed the question: 'Is it legal for a sitting President to be 'wire tapping' a race for president prior to an election?'
In another tweet Trump said it was a 'new low' for the former president and compared it to 'Nixon/Watergate'.
Trump also linked Obama to Attorney General Jeff Sessions's meetings last year with Russia's US ambassador, Sergey Kislyak.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Texas church bus crash: 13 killed, 2 injured in collision with pickup truck
- 30.03.2017Hawaii judge indefinitely extends order blocking Trump's revised travel ban
- 30.03.2017US soldier dies in northern Syria
- 30.03.2017State Department employee charged in making contacts with Chinese agents
- 29.03.2017US Congress votes to scrap Internet privacy protections
- 29.03.2017Plane catches fire on landing in Peru, passengers safe - VİDEO
- 29.03.2017First US goal at NATO summit to convince allies to boost defense spending
- 29.03.2017Trump signs order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- 28.03.2017Head of US intelligence inquiry refuses to step aside
- 28.03.2017UN chief calls for continued support to Jordan to aid Syrian refugees
- 28.03.2017White House under lock down after package found
- 28.03.2017Texas Attorney General leads 13-state coalition backing Trump travel ban
- 28.03.2017Tillerson to meet Erdogan during visit to Turkey this week - US State Department
- 27.03.2017White House establishing office of innovation to streamline US Government
- 27.03.2017UN Secretary General's spokesman denies de Mistura resignation rumors
- 26.03.2017Powerful explosion injures 15 people in the UK
- 26.03.2017UN urges Russia, Turkey, Iran to uphold Syria ceasefire
- 26.03.2017Trump tastes failure as U.S. House healthcare bill collapses
- 26.03.2017Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash
- 25.03.2017US sanctions 8 Russian companies over non-proliferation law
- 25.03.2017U.S. sanctions 30 firms, individuals for aiding Iran, North Korea arms programs
- 25.03.2017GOP House leader addresses media after health care replacement bill pulled
- 24.03.2017Italian Eni finds promising oil reserves off Mexican coast
- 24.03.2017Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 24.03.2017UN Security Council calls for immediate efforts to honor permanent truce in South Sudan
- 24.03.2017State Department to approve Keystone pipeline permit on Friday
- 23.03.2017US Senate Confirms Trump Nominee David Friedman to Be US Ambassador to Israel
- 23.03.2017Belgian police arrest man after car attack attempt
- 23.03.2017Empty cartridges 4 people killed in series of shootings in US
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 18.03.2017Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon
- 17.03.2017Iran sentences daughter of late president to jail for second time
- 17.03.2017McDonald's deletes Trump tweet, says Twitter account compromised
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 04.03.2017Obama 'never ordered Trump wire-tapping'
- 05.03.2017Mexico police rescue 31 Cuban migrants in Cancun
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
- 04.03.2017US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days