Tillerson: Russia must choose between Assad and the US
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson issued an ultimatum to Russia on Tuesday: Side with the U.S. and likeminded countries on Syria, or embrace Iran, militant group Hezbollah and embattled Syrian leader Bashar Assad, AP reported.
As he embarked on a trip to Moscow following urgent meetings in Italy with top diplomats, Tillerson said it was unclear whether Russia had failed to take seriously its obligation to rid Syria of chemical weapons, or had merely been incompetent. But he said the distinction "doesn't much matter to the dead."
"We cannot let this happen again," the secretary of state said.
"We want to relieve the suffering of the Syrian people. Russia can be a part of that future and play an important role," Tillerson added in remarks to reporters. "Or Russia can maintain its alliance with this group, which we believe is not going to serve Russia's interests longer term."
Russia's foreign ministry said in a statement that it hoped for "productive talks." It said the outcome of the discussions is important not only for the Russia-U.S. relationship, but "for the overall atmosphere on the world stage."
Tillerson is traveling to Russia several days after a chemical attack in Syria and a U.S. air strike on a Syrian government base that Moscow on Tuesday dismissed as "an act of aggression." Moscow is a staunch ally of President Bashar Assad whom the United States blamed for the chemical attack.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks
- 10.03.2018UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack