Tillerson: Russia must choose between Assad and the US
U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson issued an ultimatum to Russia on Tuesday: Side with the U.S. and likeminded countries on Syria, or embrace Iran, militant group Hezbollah and embattled Syrian leader Bashar Assad, AP reported.
As he embarked on a trip to Moscow following urgent meetings in Italy with top diplomats, Tillerson said it was unclear whether Russia had failed to take seriously its obligation to rid Syria of chemical weapons, or had merely been incompetent. But he said the distinction "doesn't much matter to the dead."
"We cannot let this happen again," the secretary of state said.
"We want to relieve the suffering of the Syrian people. Russia can be a part of that future and play an important role," Tillerson added in remarks to reporters. "Or Russia can maintain its alliance with this group, which we believe is not going to serve Russia's interests longer term."
Russia's foreign ministry said in a statement that it hoped for "productive talks." It said the outcome of the discussions is important not only for the Russia-U.S. relationship, but "for the overall atmosphere on the world stage."
Tillerson is traveling to Russia several days after a chemical attack in Syria and a U.S. air strike on a Syrian government base that Moscow on Tuesday dismissed as "an act of aggression." Moscow is a staunch ally of President Bashar Assad whom the United States blamed for the chemical attack.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 18.05.2017Brazilian Supreme Court Authorizes opening of investigation against President
- 18.05.2017One person dead, at least 13 injured after car hits pedestrians in the U.S. - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 18.05.2017Private jet crash kills 2 in central Mexico
- 18.05.2017Anti-government protests claim another life in Venezuela
- 18.05.2017US: Special counsel appointed to FBI's Russia probe
- 18.05.2017Trump calls Netanyahu amid intelligence sharing controversy
- 18.05.2017U.S. extends sanctions relief under Iran nuclear deal
- 17.05.2017Venezuelan government prolongs economic emergency for seventh time
- 17.05.2017One killed, 25 injured in Tornado in US State of Wisconsin
- 17.05.2017White House won't release list of persons present during Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017White House fence jumper arrested
- 16.05.2017Mexico expects NAFTA talks by late August: economy minister
- 16.05.2017US Treasury adds more anti-Syria sanctions: 2 Assad's cousins on the list
- 16.05.2017Trump: "US backs Turkey in the fight against terrorist groups like ISIS and the PKK" - UPDATED
- 16.05.2017Trump revealed intelligence secrets to Russians in Oval Office: officials
- 16.05.2017Another journalist killed as Mexico struggles to contain violence
- 16.05.2017Small plane crashes at Teterboro airport in New Jersey
- 16.05.2017Washington calls on Russia, China to do everything possible on North Korea sanctions
- 16.05.2017Cyber attack's spread slows; security stocks gain
- 14.05.2017Trump pledges to move quickly to name new FBI director
- 11.04.2017Tillerson: Assad's reign in Syria 'coming to an end'
- 11.04.2017UN confirms Syrian ceasefire and humanitarian task forces to meet on April 13
- 12.04.2017Pentagon Wants More F-35s for Less
- 11.04.2017Mexico City building site collapse kills seven
- 11.04.2017Magnitude 5.1 quake shakes El Salvador, killing at least one person
- 11.04.2017Venezuelans mount another wave of anti-government protests