Tillerson: Assad's reign in Syria 'coming to an end'
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said it was clear Syrian president Bashar Assad's rule is "coming to an end," but cautioned that the U.S. is "not presupposing how that occurs," at a meeting of G7 foreign ministers in Lucca, Italy on Tuesday, abc news reported.
Tillerson's remarks came just hours ahead of his planned arrival in Moscow later in the day and amid growing criticism of Russia's support for the Syrian government after it launched a chemical attack last week that killed dozens of civilians, including small children.
“It is clear to all of us that the reign of the Assad family is coming to an end,” Tillerson said. "But the question of how that ends and the transition itself could be very important in our view to the durability, the stability inside of a unified Syria."
Foreign ministers from Jordan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates joined counterparts from the G7 countries to address the conflict in Syria days after the U.S. responded to the chemical attack with a cruise missile strike on a Syrian government airbase.
"We see no further role for the Assad regime longer term given that they have given up their legitimacy with these types of attacks," Tillerson said.
Ahead of his trip to Moscow, Tillerson also took aim at Russia's role in the conflict, saying the chemical attack made the Russians look "not so good," after Russia helped broker a deal that required Syria to get rid of its chemical weapons stockpiles back in 2013.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 16.06.2017White House committed to anti-Russian sanctions - spokesperson
- 15.06.2017Turkish president's security officers charged with assault in Washington
- 15.06.20179 people injured after SUV jumps curb in Midtown Manhattan
- 15.06.2017Trump visits lawmaker recovering from shooting at baseball practice in Virginia
- 15.06.2017US agreed to sell F-15 jets to Qatar
- 15.06.2017UN slams civilian losses in US-led Raqqah airstrikes
- 15.06.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves Russia sanctions
- 14.06.2017US congressman Steve Scalise in critical condition after shooting attack
- 14.06.2017US-led coalition using banned arms in Syria, Iraq: HRW
- 14.06.2017At least two killed in San Francisco UPS facility shooting - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017US lawmakers file anti-Trump lawsuit for alleged abuse of constitution
- 14.06.2017Congressman shot at baseball field in US
- 14.06.2017The state Department has accused Russia of meddling in the elections of France and the Netherlands
- 14.06.2017Trump gives U.S. military authority to set Afghan troop levels
- 11.04.2017UN confirms Syrian ceasefire and humanitarian task forces to meet on April 13
- 12.04.2017Pentagon Wants More F-35s for Less
- 12.04.2017A 5.1 magnitude quake kills at least one in El Salvador, caps off barrage of tremors
- 11.04.2017Tillerson: Russia must choose between Assad and the US
- 11.04.2017Mexico City building site collapse kills seven
- 11.04.2017Magnitude 5.1 quake shakes El Salvador, killing at least one person