Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree
Three people were killed as a man went on a shooting spree in central Fresno, California on Tuesday and later surrendered to police, the Fresno Police Department said, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
The 39-year-old suspect, identified as Kori Ali Muhammad, was taken into custody.
The shooting spree was a random act of violence and Muhammad shouted "Allahu Akbar" as police tackled him to the ground, Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.
Muhammad has made posts against white people and expressed anti-government sentiments on Facebook and all of the victims were white men, said Dyer at a press conference.
The Fresno spree killer apparently had an active online presence, including two digital rap albums and several social media accounts that posted racially charged threats against President Donald Trump, according to the Fresno Bee, a local media.
Police confirmed that Muhammad is also suspected for the murder of a security guard outside Motel 6 in central Fresno on Thursday, but it was still too early to say if the shooting was an act of terrorism.
The shooting spree began around 10:45 a.m. local time and 16 shots were fired at the four different locations in less than one minute.
Two of the people shot outside Catholic Charities may have been clients of the social service agency and the third victim was a passenger in a Pacific Gas & Electric truck. A fourth man was shot at but not injured, the Fresno Bee reported.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 20.04.201714 dead in Colombia landslides
- 18.04.2017Kelly: Terror threat to US worse than before 9/11 attacks
- 18.04.2017Cleveland murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit
- 18.04.2017Pence says US will work with Japan, allies to resolve against North Korea