Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
The U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee voted overwhelmingly on Thursday in favor of President Donald Trump's nominee to be director of national intelligence, former Republican Senator Dan Coats, sending his nomination to the Senate floor, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The vote, which took place in a closed hearing, was 13-2, the committee said. Democratic Senators Ron Wyden and Kamala Harris were the only two members to vote no.
Coats must still be confirmed by the full Senate to be the top U.S. intelligence official. The popular former lawmaker, who also served as ambassador to Germany, is expected to be confirmed easily.
The Office of the Director of National Intelligence was created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks to oversee all 16 U.S. intelligence agencies and improve communications among them.
Coats, 73, replaces James Clapper, who retired as President Barack Obama left office.
Coats was a member of the Senate intelligence panel until he retired from the Senate at the end of last year. He pledged during his confirmation hearing on Feb. 28 to support a thorough investigation of any Russian effort to influence the 2016 presidential election.
Wyden, one of the Senate's leading privacy advocates, said he voted against his former colleague because he felt that the office of the Director of National Intelligence had not provided the committee with enough information about how many Americans' communication records have been subjected to government surveillance.
"Given that there has not been a firm commitment to deliver this critical information, I cannot support any DNI nominee without that material," Wyden said in a statement.
Harris said that after consideration of Coats' record on a range of issues, she concluded she could not support his nomination.
Senators Richard Burr, the committee's Republican chairman, and Mark Warner, its top Democrat, both said they were pleased the committee had backed Coats.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Pentagon orders 140,000 aircraft cargo nets for United Arab Emirates
- 26.04.2017Pilot killed in small plane crash in U.S state of Texas
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 22.04.2017U.S. defense secretary says Syria dispersed warplanes, retains chemical weapons
- 22.04.2017Trump, UNSC members to meet at White House
- 22.04.2017Man shot dead in Venezuelan capital amid anti-government protests
- 21.04.2017Soul singer Cuba Gooding Sr. dies
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 20.04.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.201714 dead in Colombia landslides
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree
- 18.04.2017Kelly: Terror threat to US worse than before 9/11 attacks
- 18.04.2017Cleveland murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit
- 18.04.2017Pence says US will work with Japan, allies to resolve against North Korea
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017US to host anti-İS coalition summit
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 08.03.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil