Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
A US citizen, lobbyist and former Soviet military officer has revealed he was one of the figures present at a closed-door gathering of a Russian lawyer and senior campaigners of President Donald Trump in the run-up to the 2016 presidential election, APA reports quoting Press TV.
Russian-American lobbyist Rinat Akhmetshin told the Associated Press on Saturday that he sat down with Trump's eldest son, Donald Trump Jr. (pictured below), Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort with Russian attorney Natalia Veselnitskaya at Trump Tower in June 2016.
Akhmetshin denied any connection to Russian intelligence. He said he served in the Soviet military in a unit that was part of counterintelligence but he was never trained as a spy.
The meeting is now considered as part of efforts by Russia to collude with the Trump campaign in an effort to change the outcome of the November 8 presidential election; accusations that Russia has firmly denied.
Trump’s son said he had been promised damaging information about his father’s opponent, Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton. He, however, claimed that he did not receive the information he was promised. On Tuesday, he released emails showing he embraced Russia's efforts to support his father's presidential campaign.
The president issued a brief statement defending his son, saying, “My son is a high-quality person and I applaud his transparency.”
In another development, Jamie Gorelick, Kushner’s lawyer in an ongoing investigation into Russia’s alleged interference, has stepped back from the probe and Abbe Lowell, another attorney, has replaced him.
The investigation is being carried out by special counsel Robert Mueller to find out whether any Trump campaign associates colluded with Russia to interfere in the election
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 15.09.2017UN chief condemns North Korea’s latest missile test
- 15.09.2017Trump says internet must be ‘cut off’ to stop further terror attacks
- 15.09.2017UN Security Council to meet amid North Korea’s missile launch
- 15.09.20171 soldier killed, 7 wounded at U.S. military base
- 15.09.2017Hurricane Max downgraded to tropical storm, moves inland over Mexico
- 15.09.2017Trump repeats equivocal Charlottesville rhetoric after meeting with black senator
- 15.09.2017American fighting for ISIL captured in Syria
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death
- 15.07.2017Trump, Saudi king discuss resolution of Qatar row