Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will travel to North Korea this week as Washington continues to push for denuclearization of the Korean peninsula, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Speaking at a press briefing Monday, White House spokeswoman Sarah Sanders said Pompeo will fly to Pyongyang on July 5 to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and his team.
Pompeo's visit will take place as part of a week-long trip to Asia and Europe, said the State Department.
He will remain in North Korea until Saturday to “continue consultations and implement the forward progress made by President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim in Singapore”, it added.
Trump last month announced that North Korea's denuclearization process will start "very quickly" as the pair wrapped up an unprecedented summit on Singapore’s Sentosa Island.
The two leaders signed what was described as a "comprehensive" deal in front of international camera crews.
The American president was full of praise for his "very smart" North Korean counterpart, describing their "very special bond" and a total shift in Washington's relationship with Pyongyang.
North Korea has repeatedly threatened to attack the U.S. after decades of hostility and suspicion since the 1950-53 Korean War closed with a ceasefire. Trump increasingly hit back with his own rhetoric since taking office last year.
But Kim told reporters at the Capella Hotel that they have chosen to "leave the past behind".
Trump also confirmed he would invite the North's leader to the White House.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Ex-Colombian guerrillas sworn into Congress
- 21.07.2018Missouri boat accident kills 17, including nine from one family
- 21.07.2018U.S. urges strict U.N. sanctions until North Korea acts on denuclearization
- 20.07.2018Trump, Putin discussed Syria crisis, returning refugees: Pompeo
- 20.07.2018US: Mattis opposes bid to remove Turkey from F-35 program
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Possible Trump-Putin meeting in Washington 'All to the Good'
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US