Poll on U.S. government shutdown spells trouble for Republicans
Baku-APA. As Republican lawmakers pushed ahead on Monday with a campaign to scuttle President Barack Obama's healthcare program, a survey suggested that they risk a public backlash should their efforts lead to a government shutdown or a default.
The CNBC poll reported that by a 59-19 percent margin, respondents opposed linking defunding of "Obamacare" to a possible shutdown starting on October 1, or to a failure to raise the government's borrowing authority, meaning Washington may not be able to pay all of its bills by sometime in October or early November.
Eighteen percent were undecided, according to nationwide poll of 800 people conducted by Hart-McInturff. It had a margin of error of 3.4 percentage points.
On Friday Republicans in the House of Representatives passed and sent to the Senate a measure that would make continued funding of the government contingent on defunding Obamacare. The bill passed on a mostly partisan vote of 230-189.
They plan a similar strategy when they take up a measure to raise the debt ceiling, which if defeated could lead to a government default.
The Democratic-controlled Senate will take up the House spending bill later on Monday. Democrats expect to send it back to the House by Sunday with the Obamacare provision stripped out, according to a Senate Democratic aide.
That timetable guarantees a down-to-the wire battle through next weekend, with little time for the House to respond to the Senate action.
The long Republican war against "Obamacare" is at the heart of the clashes ahead, just as important provisions of that law start taking effect on October 1.
The only certainty is that when the dust settles, Obamacare will still be standing. Neither the Senate nor the Democratic president will agree to a bill delaying the program, signed into law by Obama in March, 2010, to provide health coverage for millions of uninsured Americans.
Related news releases
- 08.12.2016Tsunami watch issued for Hawaii after powerful quake hits Solomon islands
- 08.12.2016Powerful magnitude 6.5 earthquake hits off Northern California coast
- 08.12.2016Nine Latin American foreign ministers call for keeping dialogues going in Venezuela
- 08.12.2016Trump: Russia, US can be allies in Daesh fight
- 07.12.2016Time magazine names Trump person of year
- 07.12.2016Trump's foreign policy may be a threat to global stability, experts say
- 07.12.2016Trump sold all shares in companies in June, spokesman says
- 07.12.2016Obama admits US cannot defeat Taliban, end violence in Afghanistan
- 07.12.2016Venezuelans stage protest over political prisoners outside Vatican
- 07.12.2016President Obama Delivers Counterterrorism Speech - VİDEO
- 07.12.2016Protesters, police clash in Greece on anniversary of police killing of teen - VİDEO
- 06.12.2016Kerry calls on Russia to work with NATO to implement Minsk deal
- 06.12.2016Social media giants join forces to combat terrorist propaganda
- 06.12.2016Russia, China veto 7-day Aleppo truce
- 06.12.2016Kerry says Iran nuclear deal has made world safer, rejecting Trump criticism
- 03.12.20169 dead, 25 unaccounted for in Oakland warehouse party fire
- 03.12.2016Professor fatally stabbed on USC campus, student arrested
- 03.12.2016Trump speaks to Taiwan's leader in move that could anger China
- 02.12.2016U.S. sanctions North Korean companies, officials after nuclear test
- 02.12.2016Armenian president has phone conversation with US vice president-elect
- 02.12.2016Trump picks retired Gen. James Mattis as defense secretary
- 02.12.2016NATO holds cyber exercise in Estonia
- 02.12.2016Large crowds for Castro's ashes after symbolic Che Guevara reunion
- 01.12.2016Extension of Iran Sanctions Act passes U.S. Congress
- 01.12.2016Brent hits more than one-year high above $54, extending surge on OPEC output deal
- 01.12.2016Death toll rises to seven in Tennessee's Great Smoky Mountains fires
- 01.12.2016Shooting in Baltimore leaves two dead, 4 injured
- 01.12.2016Crashed plane owned by Venezuelan, operated by tiny Bolivian airline
- 30.11.20165 killed in deadly tornadoes in southern US states
- 30.11.20163 dead after wildfire rages in U.S. Tennessee resort towns
- 30.11.2016UN Chief: Israeli-Palestinian peace prospects under threat
- 30.11.2016Trump takes aim at First Amendment
- 30.11.2016US ready to provide assistance to Colombia after plane crash
- 30.11.2016Over 20 Brazilian journalists killed in plane crash in Colombia
- 29.11.201626 arrested in NYC in minimum wage protests
- 29.11.2016At least 13 survivors in Colombia plane crash - UPDATED
- 29.11.2016Plane carrying Brazilian football team crashes in Colombia
- 29.11.2016Canadian fighter pilot killed in jet crash: military
- 29.11.2016Ohio State University student injures 11 in car, knife attack - UPDATED
- 29.11.2016Tens of thousands of Cubans pay last respects to Fidel Castro
- 24.09.2013Apple polishes forecast after selling nine million new iPhones
- 24.09.2013Texas Archaeologist’s Research Lands Ukrainian Ruins on UNESCO Heritage List
- 24.09.2013Soyuz Launch Causes New Delay to US Cargo Ship Docking with Space Station
- 22.09.2013U.S. condemns mall attack in Kenya
- 22.09.2013US Commercial Spacecraft Set to Dock with Space Station
- 22.09.2013UN Security Council slams deadly terrorist attack in Kenyan capital