Peru to Resume Work at its Scientific Base in Antarctica
Baku-APA. The authorities of Peru decided to resume the work of its scientific research base in Antarctica after a five-year break, Nicolas Roncagliolo, a spokesman for the Peruvian Foreign Ministry, said, APA reports quoting Ria Novosti.
A scientific expedition is planned to set off for its Machu Picchu base in Antarctica on January 5, 2013 on board of Peru’s scientific research vessel BIC Humboldt.
“Thankfully to help from other countries we managed to maintain Machu Picchu base in a working condition and even hold some experiments there, however, our country can now independently speed up its scientific researches and to finally restore its presence in Antarctica,” Roncagliolo said.
The Machu Picchu base, which was opened in February of 1989 and consists of four buildings, is expected to host 23 scientists starting from January next year.
Related news releases
- 24.07.2016Four people killed by shooting in Texas, gunman committed suicide
- 24.07.2016Five peopleiIncluding mayor killed during protest in Mexican town
- 24.07.2016Peru’s jailed former President Alberto Fujimori seeks pardon
- 24.07.2016At least 2 killed, child aged 7 injured by shooting in Miami, Florida
- 23.07.2016US Capitol on lockdown for second time in a week
- 23.07.2016Cuba, U.S. to discuss mutual compensation for economic losses
- 22.07.2016Trump officially accepts GOP nomination for US president
- 22.07.2016Yildirim, Biden discuss Gulen's extradition to Turkey - UPDATED
- 22.07.2016Another journalist killed in Mexico
- 22.07.2016State Department spokesman: Turkey’s democracy, people ‘matters’ to US: State Dept.
- 22.07.2016NBA to move All-Star Game over NC law
- 21.07.20163 Al-Shabab terrorists killed in southern Somalia
- 21.07.2016Brazilian police arrest Isis-linked group over alleged Olympics attack plot
- 21.07.2016Kerry warns of new challenge in securing Iraq after Islamic State
- 21.07.2016Gulen’s case to be ‘very high priority’: US ambassador
- 20.07.2016Trump formally announced as GOP nominee in 2016 US vote
- 20.07.2016North Korea leader provides guidance to launch of three ballistic missiles
- 19.07.2016Eight people from same family murdered in Mexico
- 19.07.2016Pentagon response to coup raises questions
- 19.07.2016Obama to voice support for Turkey in upcoming call
- 19.07.2016SpaceX successfully lands rocket for second time
- 19.07.2016US ambassador denies 'lack of respect' for Turkish govt
- 19.07.2016Mexico president apologizes for scandal, vows to fight graft with new law
- 18.07.2016Kerry: US awaits ‘formal request’ for Gulen extradition
- 17.07.2016John Kerry ruled out U.S. involvement in the coup attempt in Turkey
- 17.07.2016U.S. bans commercial and private flights to and from Turkey
- 17.07.2016Latin America condemns coup attempt in Turkey
- 17.07.2016UN Gen. Assem. head condemns attempted coup in Turkey
- 17.07.2016FBI warns of ‘Police Purge’ plots in Miami, Baltimore to kill cops
- 16.07.2016Barack Obama: "U.S to continue its unwavering support for Turkey’s democratically elected government"
- 16.07.2016President Obama: Support Turkey's 'democratically elected government'
- 16.07.2016U.N. chief appeals for calm in Turkey, seeks to clarify situation
- 16.07.2016Obama would continue to get regular updates on Turkey
- 16.07.2016U.S.A's Kerry says hopes for peace and stability in Turkey
- 15.07.2016UN Security Council Condemns Nice Attack
- 15.07.2016U.S. President condemns Nice attack
- 15.07.2016Top US officials warn of threats to upcoming conventions
- 14.07.2016Donald Trump reportedly picks Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as VP
- 14.07.2016Kerry seeks Russian cooperation despite deep misgivings within U.S. administration
- 14.07.2016US to pay peshmerga who take part in fight for Mosul
- 20.12.2012Latin Americans rank as happiest people on planet
- 20.12.2012Venezuela VP hopes Chavez can be sworn in Jan. 10
- 20.12.2012U.S. diplomatic security chief resigns after Benghazi report
- 20.12.2012No Link Between Cancer, 9/11 US Terror Attack Debris: Study
- 20.12.2012GM to buy back shares from U.S. Treasury
- 19.12.2012White House threatens veto of GOP budget plan