Pentagon Wants More F-35s for Less
Amid mounting pressures to rein in the F-35, the Pentagon hopes to lower the cost of the joint strike fighter by five to seven percent for its next order of jets, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The new price target for the Pentagon’s F-35, once called the most expensive weapons system is history, is $80 million, according to officials involved in the negotiations.
The next order is slated to be one of the largest additions of F-35s to the US armed forces. The deal could include as many as 130 new jets.
The US managed to buy the F-35s for an average unit cost of approximately $94 million in the tenth block of jets, which represented substantial savings from the previous price of $102 million per jet.
While US President Donald Trump claimed personal credit for the savings, cost reductions were already built into the procurement process. Namely, when manufacturers boost production of the stealth fighter, it allows the manufacturer to spread fixed costs over a larger number of units.
Pentagon officials are eyeing a batch of 130 jets for its next procurement package. The Defense Department and F-35 manufacturer Lockheed Martin have an agreement in place to buy more than 2,000 units.
In March, F-35 program director Lt. Gen. Chris Bogdan said that by 2020 the price of the jet would fall below $80, a roughly 16-percent drop from its current sticker price, Defense News reported.
Boeing recently made a push to influence the Trump administration to buy “advanced” F/A-18 Super Hornets. That effort reached an ostensible end.
US Navy Rear Adm. Bill Moran said at the Navy League’s Sea Air Space Symposium that the Navy “plans to procure two squadrons of Boeing’s F/A-18 and two squadrons of Lockheed Martin’s F-35C variant.”
Related news releases
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 22.04.2017U.S. defense secretary says Syria dispersed warplanes, retains chemical weapons
- 22.04.2017Trump, UNSC members to meet at White House
- 22.04.2017Man shot dead in Venezuelan capital amid anti-government protests
- 21.04.2017Soul singer Cuba Gooding Sr. dies
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 20.04.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.201714 dead in Colombia landslides
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree
- 18.04.2017Kelly: Terror threat to US worse than before 9/11 attacks
- 18.04.2017Cleveland murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit
- 18.04.2017Pence says US will work with Japan, allies to resolve against North Korea
- 18.04.2017Pence warns North Korea of U.S. resolve shown in Syria, Afghan strikes
- 17.04.2017US, South Korea, Japan to convene trilateral talks on North Korean threat
- 16.04.2017Fugitive ex-governor of Mexican state of Veracruz detained
- 12.04.2017A 5.1 magnitude quake kills at least one in El Salvador, caps off barrage of tremors
- 12.04.2017US warns Assad, Russia on future chemical attacks
- 12.04.2017Russia vetoes U.N. resolution on Syria attack, China abstains
- 11.04.2017UN confirms Syrian ceasefire and humanitarian task forces to meet on April 13
- 11.04.2017Tillerson: Assad's reign in Syria 'coming to an end'
- 11.04.2017Tillerson: Russia must choose between Assad and the US