Pentagon drops 'mother of all bombs' in Afghanistan for first time ever - UPDATED
The United States has dropped the largest non-nuclear bomb in its military arsenal in Afghanistan, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The bomb was used against a large group of Daesh terror group in east Afghanistan.
Later, the Pentagon confirmed that the GBU-43 bomb dubbed "the Mother of All Bombs" was dropped in the Nangarhar province.
The GBU-43/B Massive Ordnance Air Blast is a large-yield conventional non-nuclear bomb which was considered to be the most powerful non-nuclear weapon ever developed at the time of its creation.
This was the first time the bomb was dropped in a combat action. It has been in service since 2003.
It was dropped from a MC-130 jet, according to Pentagon spokesman Adam Stump.
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017Spanish tourist shot, killed by police in Rio de Janeiro slum
- 22.10.2017Four critically wounded in Philadelphia shooting
- 22.10.2017Saakashvili announced disappearance of his three associates in Kyiv
- 22.10.2017Trump: Facebook was on Clinton's side during election, not mine
- 21.10.2017Trump plans to release classified JFK documents
- 21.10.2017US: Raqqa’s liberation marks 'beginning of a new phase'
- 20.10.2017Trump orders administration to deter conflict with Russia
- 20.10.2017City schools to begin controversial supplement in Brazil
- 19.10.2017Brazil Parliament Committee recommends dismissing charges against Temer
- 19.10.2017US: Visa talks with Turkey are productive
- 19.10.2017Ford to recall 1.34 million trucks in North America for door latch fix
- 19.10.2017Tillerson to visit Pakistan as well as India: senior U.S. official
- 18.10.2017US: 3 dead, 2 injured in Maryland shooting
- 18.10.2017Tillerson expresses support for Iraq’s unity
- 18.10.2017Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'
- 18.10.2017More than 90 percent of Raqqa liberated: Pentagon
- 18.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro defends disputed vote, opposition divided
- 18.10.2017US senators reach tentative health care deal
- 18.10.2017George Saunders wins the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo
- 17.10.2017US to 'not take sides' in Iraqi-Kurdish dispute: Trump
- 17.10.2017US forces kill dozens of Daesh fighters in Yemen
- 15.10.2017Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland
- 15.10.2017Approach to Iran exposes growing irritation between U.S. and allies
- 14.10.2017Magnitude 5.4 quake rumbles southern Mexico, no reports of damage
- 14.10.2017Mattis says U.S. working to ensure situation around Kirkuk does not escalate
- 13.10.2017Donald Trump makes a statement on new Iranian strategy
- 13.10.2017US adds Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps to sanctions list
- 13.10.2017Trump strikes blow against Iran nuclear deal in major U.S. policy shift
- 13.10.2017Tillerson: Trump to stay in Iran nuclear deal, but decertify Tehran's compliance
- 13.10.2017US hopes to dialogue with Turkey over visa spat
- 13.10.2017Trump to announce US strategy on Iran on Friday: White House
- 13.10.2017Niger ambush that killed eight the work of new ISIL offshoot: Pentagon
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 12.10.2017UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires
- 12.10.2017US officials ‘respectfully' took down Russian flags - State Department
- 13.04.2017NASA: Nearby ocean worlds could be best bet for life beyond Earth
- 13.04.2017Trump refuses to confirm he authorized use of giant bomb in Afghanistan
- 14.04.2017Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24
- 13.04.2017Trump says 'things will work out fine' with Russia
- 13.04.2017US intelligence intercepted communications between Syrian military and chemical experts
- 13.04.2017White House: China abstained from UN vote on Syria thanks to Trump-Xi meeting