Pentagon confirms US troops enter Raqqa to ‘advise, assist’ in battle with Daesh
The US military has announced that it is acting in an “advise, assist and accompany” role for the Kurdish-majority Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) that are currently besieging Raqqa, Daesh’s final major stronghold in Syria, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
A media release from military spokesman Colonel Ryan Dillon claimed that the American soldiers, who number in the "not hundreds," were not acting in a direct combat role. However, they were working closely with SDF forces and calling in airstrikes on Daesh positions. CNN reported in June that there were 500 US operators in the region, although they did not cite a source.
"They are much more exposed to enemy contact than those in Iraq," Dillon said, referring to the successful Iraqi siege of Mosul, once Daesh's principle holding in that country. US advisors accompanied the forces that besieged that city as well.
In November 2016, US-backed SDF forces began a campaign to isolate, encircle and ultimately attack Raqqa. US air strikes pounded the city on June 5, and the next day SDF forces poured in. By the beginning of July, Daesh had been pushed back to the old city in the center of Raqqa, where they are currently making their last stand.
Dillon added that Daesh was using commercial drones outfitted with explosives as makeshift bombs against SDF forces, a tactic they had previously employed in Mosul. "Over the course over the last week or two, [drone use] has increased as we've continued to push in closer inside of Raqqa city center," he said. A trio of Daesh suicide bombings claimed the lives of ten SDF fighters on July 4, according to Daesh's Amaq News Agency.
Two Americans have been killed in the battle so far, although neither of them were US soldiers. Both men, Robert Grodt and Nicholas Warden, were volunteers serving in the Kurdish militia group People's Protection Units (YPG,) which forms the backbone of the SDF forces assaulting Raqqa.
Another YPG fighter, Jake Bruce, said that the United States had provided his militia with "air cover, drones, weapons and ammunitions."
Although Daesh is being steadily pushed back, they still control 65 percent of the city proper, with 50,000 residents still living in an area under the authority of over 2,000 fighters. Daesh captured the city from the Syrian government in early 2013 and has held it since then, but only on July 12 were foreign journalists able to enter the Old City and report on what they saw.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 12.11.2017Geneva talks should be the only platform for Syrian settlement - State Department
- 12.11.2017Mass graves discovered near Hawija in Iraq
- 12.11.2017Venezuela sets high-profile location for Monday debt talks
- 11.11.2017APEC ministers publish joint statement after wrangling over language
- 11.11.2017Oil prices slide after U.S. drillers add rigs
- 10.11.2017Colombia 'committed' to deal with FARC
- 10.11.2017Turkish premier urges US to extradite FETO leader
- 10.11.2017State Dept. denies report top envoys being depleted
- 09.11.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela: Senior gov't officials on the list
- 13.07.2017Sanders: Lawmaker article of impeachment against Trump 'completely ridiculous'
- 13.07.2017Canada raises interest rate for first time in 7 years
- 13.07.2017Rising seas threaten hundreds of coastal US towns
- 12.07.2017Trump on Putin: We get along 'very well'
- 12.07.2017Former Brazilian President Lula found guilty of corruption
- 12.07.2017Student dies during protests in central Venezuela