OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) has begun
OPEC and the American shale oil industry have been regarded as in direct competition. The additional supply from the U.S. to an already over-saturated oil market has often been blamed for plummeting prices.
"We, in OPEC, never had a war with the U.S. shale," Barkindo said at the CERAWeek energy conference in Houston, Texas, putting to rest perceptions of rivalry between the two major groups.
The oil cartel is composed of sovereign nation members, but shale oil producers are American private companies, making it harder for OPEC to have intergovernmental contact with the U.S. shale sector.
"We did meet with shale oil producers in the U.S., who shared with us their experiences, their managerial ingenuity of how to lower their costs and increase efficiency. The did a great job," Barkindo said.
American oil producers bore the brunt after oil prices began their steep decline in mid-2014. Last year, however, they adapted to a low-price environment by managing to survive with less capital.
Barkindo said OPEC has a lot to learn from U.S. shale oil companies, although communication between the two players was seen unconventional in the past.
"It was almost a taboo for OPEC to meet with other market actors before. But the times have changed, the market changed ... We all belong to the same boat. This downturn
A deal between OPEC members and several non-member countries took effective in January, but it does not include the U.S. oil producers.
Barkindo praised the world's biggest oil producer Russia for participating in the deal, saying that Moscow "leads the other 10 non-OPEC countries" with a major contribution to the joint agreement.
Barkindo said the current high levels of global oil inventory would be assessed before extending the deal for the second half of this year.
Related news releases
- 24.08.2017U.S. may sanction four countries for refusing deportees
- 24.08.2017Oil steady on falling crude inventories, but rising output weighs
- 24.08.2017US named new permanent co-chair of OSCE Mink Group
- 24.08.2017Science envoy quits over Trump’s Charlottesville stance
- 24.08.2017At least 10 dead, dozens missing as boat sinks in Brazil
- 23.08.2017Kushner holding peace talks in Middle East
- 23.08.2017UN agencies offer emergency assistance to Iraqis fleeing Tal Afar
- 23.08.2017Maduro: Venezuela-US relations at ‘worst moment’
- 23.08.2017US talked to Russia, China about role in Afghan peace process - Tillerson
- 22.08.2017China urges U.S. to fix 'mistake' of sanctioning firms over North Korea
- 22.08.2017US backs Iraq’s territorial integrity: Defense minister
- 22.08.2017Unknown security threat causes lockdown at White House
- 22.08.2017Protesters storm Charlottesville city council meeting
- 22.08.2017U.S., North Korea clash at U.N. forum over nuclear weapons
- 22.08.2017US adds 4 Russian nationals in sanctions list
- 22.08.2017Trump: No timetable for Afghan troop withdrawal
- 21.08.2017Secret Service budget takes blow protecting Trump
- 20.08.2017Second officer dies in Florida police shooting
- 20.08.2017Veteran NAFTA negotiators likely to deflect political pressures
- 20.08.2017Counterprotest derails 'free speech' rally in US city
- 19.08.2017Boston march against right-wing rally draws thousands
- 19.08.2017Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude strikes west of Tonga
- 19.08.2017US has no intention to stay in Syria: State Dept
- 19.08.2017Romania negotiating to buy U.S. rocket systems worth $1.25 billion: Pentagon
- 19.08.2017U.S. State Department email restored after global outage
- 19.08.2017Oil jumps 3 percent as dollar falls, U.S. rig count drops
- 18.08.2017Rare US solar eclipse to help unlock sun's secrets
- 18.08.2017Trump fires adviser Bannon
- 18.08.2017UN Security Council condemns Barcelona terrorist attack
- 17.08.2017White House chief of staff briefs Trump on Barcelona incident
- 17.08.2017At least 13 dead in terror attack in Barcelona - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 17.08.2017Clashes at Venezuelan Prison Kill 37 Inmates, Wound 4
- 17.08.2017At least six killed in suspected gang attack at Guatemala hospital
- 17.08.2017Mike Pence urges four South American nations to cut contacts with North Korea
- 17.08.2017US Black Hawk missing in Hawaii, search underway for crew
- 17.08.2017Trump ends business councils after mass resignations
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 08.03.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices
- 07.03.2017WikiLeaks claims to reveal US spy agency's secrets