Obama 'never ordered Trump wire-tapping'
Kevin Lewis said that "neither President Obama nor any White House official ever ordered surveillance on any US citizen".
Mr Trump had tweeted: "Terrible! Just found out Obama had my "wires tapped" in Trump Tower just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!"
He gave no details to back the claim.
In his statement, Mr Lewis said a "cardinal rule of the Obama Administration was that no White House official ever interfered with any independent investigation led by the Department of Justice".
The statement left open the possibility that a judicial investigation was taking place.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 05.03.2017Mexico police rescue 31 Cuban migrants in Cancun
- 05.03.2017Blast kills at least 3 in Mexico town
- 05.03.2017Trump to sign a new decree on immigration in the coming days
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister