North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
North Korea and South Korea agreed on Tuesday to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16 to discuss steps needed to uphold the pledge to denuclearize the Korean peninsula, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The meeting will discuss specific plans needed to carry out the April 27 inter-Korea summit declaration, which includes pledges to finally end a seven-decade war this year, and pursue “complete denuclearization”.
“The South and North will hold a high-level inter-Korea meeting on May 16 in the Peace House in Panmunjom, to discuss implementation of ‘Panmunjom Declaration for Peace, Prosperity and Unification of the Korean Peninsula,” the Unification Ministry said in a statement.
The meeting would be the latest in a series of actions taken by North Korea that have spurred hopes that the seven-decade conflict on the Korean Peninsula may be coming to an end.
North Korea has scheduled the dismantlement of its nuclear bomb test site for sometime between May 23-25 in order to uphold its pledge to discontinue nuclear tests, the country’s state media reported on Saturday, a month ahead of a planned North Korea-U.S. summit in Singapore.
U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un will meet on June 12, a scenario that seemed improbable given the insults and threats exchanged between the two leaders in the past year.
Wednesday’s inter-Korea talks will see North Korea send a 29-member delegation led by Ri Son-gwon, chairman of the ‘Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of the country’. Also in the delegation will be Kim Yun-hyok, vice minister of Railways, and Won Kil-U, vice minister of Physical Culture and Sports.
From South Korea, Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon will led a team of five.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 10.05.2018Trump warns Iran over resuming nuclear program
- 09.05.2018UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ by US decision to exit Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018US lists additional demands for Iran beyond halting nuclear program
- 09.05.2018Mexico candidate murdered, sixth in just over a week
- 09.05.2018US State Secretary Michael Pompeo arrives in North Korean capital
- 09.05.2018U.S. Senators Accuse Russia of Campaign Against 2016 Vote
- 09.05.2018US expressed readiness to work with Pashinyan
- 09.05.2018Oil recoups some losses after Trump pulls U.S. from Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018US Treasury to reimpose sanctions on Iranian energy, shipbuilding sectors
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site