Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
Ali Jr., 44, was trying to get on a flight back to Florida on Friday when US Department of Homeland Security officials detained and questioned him for almost half an hour, Chris Mancini said as cited by The Washington Post on Friday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Eventually, Muhammad Ali’s son was let go after he showed his US passport.
Ali Jr. and his mother had arrived in Washington to speak at a forum dedicated to the issue of US President Donald Trump’s immigration policy, according to The Washington Post. The forum was organized by Democratic lawmakers.
In February, Ali and his mother were detained at Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport in Florida. A family spokesman then said that they were flagged because of their "Arabic-sounding names."
On Monday, Trump signed an executive order that blocks travellers from six Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States and suspends the refugee admission program for 120 days. The order replaced a previous action halted last month by a federal judge in Seattle.
Related news releases
- 24.10.2017Spanish tourist shot, killed by police in Rio de Janeiro slum
- 22.10.2017Four critically wounded in Philadelphia shooting
- 22.10.2017Saakashvili announced disappearance of his three associates in Kyiv
- 22.10.2017Trump: Facebook was on Clinton's side during election, not mine
- 21.10.2017Trump plans to release classified JFK documents
- 21.10.2017US: Raqqa’s liberation marks 'beginning of a new phase'
- 20.10.2017Trump orders administration to deter conflict with Russia
- 20.10.2017City schools to begin controversial supplement in Brazil
- 19.10.2017Brazil Parliament Committee recommends dismissing charges against Temer
- 19.10.2017US: Visa talks with Turkey are productive
- 19.10.2017Ford to recall 1.34 million trucks in North America for door latch fix
- 19.10.2017Tillerson to visit Pakistan as well as India: senior U.S. official
- 18.10.2017US: 3 dead, 2 injured in Maryland shooting
- 18.10.2017Tillerson expresses support for Iraq’s unity
- 18.10.2017Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'
- 18.10.2017More than 90 percent of Raqqa liberated: Pentagon
- 18.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro defends disputed vote, opposition divided
- 18.10.2017US senators reach tentative health care deal
- 18.10.2017George Saunders wins the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo
- 17.10.2017US to 'not take sides' in Iraqi-Kurdish dispute: Trump
- 17.10.2017US forces kill dozens of Daesh fighters in Yemen
- 15.10.2017Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland
- 15.10.2017Approach to Iran exposes growing irritation between U.S. and allies
- 14.10.2017Magnitude 5.4 quake rumbles southern Mexico, no reports of damage
- 14.10.2017Mattis says U.S. working to ensure situation around Kirkuk does not escalate
- 13.10.2017Donald Trump makes a statement on new Iranian strategy
- 13.10.2017US adds Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps to sanctions list
- 13.10.2017Trump strikes blow against Iran nuclear deal in major U.S. policy shift
- 13.10.2017Tillerson: Trump to stay in Iran nuclear deal, but decertify Tehran's compliance
- 13.10.2017US hopes to dialogue with Turkey over visa spat
- 13.10.2017Trump to announce US strategy on Iran on Friday: White House
- 13.10.2017Niger ambush that killed eight the work of new ISIL offshoot: Pentagon
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 12.10.2017UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires
- 12.10.2017US officials ‘respectfully' took down Russian flags - State Department
- 11.03.2017'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 10.03.2017US to host anti-İS coalition summit