Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
Mexico does not want President Donald Trump to impose taxes on imported Mexican goods,, that country’s economy minister said Friday, according to media reports, APA reports Anadolu Agency.
Tariffs are "a move to the past" and adding them "makes no sense", Ildefonso Guajardo said in an address to the Detroit Economic Club.
Trump promised to place a 35 percent border tax on imports from Mexico before suggesting a 20 percent tariff on Mexican goods that would pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall he intends to build.
Withdrawing the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, is another promise from Trump, who sees existing trade deals unfair to American workers.
Guajardo said his country is willing to start negotiations with the U.S and is looking forward to updating NAFTA.
The economy minister is reportedly scheduled to meet with executives from GM and Ford during his stay in Detroit.
Trump threatened American automakers would face higher border taxes if they build cars in Mexico and exported them to the U.S.
Mexican Foreign Affairs Secretary Luis Videgaray earlier this week said his country would reject any tariffs.
Mexico is Michigan's second biggest export market.
The American state exported more than $12 billion in goods to Mexico in 2016, according to the Mexican government.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 04.03.2017Obama 'never ordered Trump wire-tapping'
- 04.03.2017US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14