Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
Mexico does not want President Donald Trump to impose taxes on imported Mexican goods,, that country’s economy minister said Friday, according to media reports, APA reports Anadolu Agency.
Tariffs are "a move to the past" and adding them "makes no sense", Ildefonso Guajardo said in an address to the Detroit Economic Club.
Trump promised to place a 35 percent border tax on imports from Mexico before suggesting a 20 percent tariff on Mexican goods that would pay for a U.S.-Mexico border wall he intends to build.
Withdrawing the U.S. from the North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, is another promise from Trump, who sees existing trade deals unfair to American workers.
Guajardo said his country is willing to start negotiations with the U.S and is looking forward to updating NAFTA.
The economy minister is reportedly scheduled to meet with executives from GM and Ford during his stay in Detroit.
Trump threatened American automakers would face higher border taxes if they build cars in Mexico and exported them to the U.S.
Mexican Foreign Affairs Secretary Luis Videgaray earlier this week said his country would reject any tariffs.
Mexico is Michigan's second biggest export market.
The American state exported more than $12 billion in goods to Mexico in 2016, according to the Mexican government.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Texas church bus crash: 13 killed, 2 injured in collision with pickup truck
- 30.03.2017Hawaii judge indefinitely extends order blocking Trump's revised travel ban
- 30.03.2017US soldier dies in northern Syria
- 30.03.2017State Department employee charged in making contacts with Chinese agents
- 29.03.2017US Congress votes to scrap Internet privacy protections
- 29.03.2017Plane catches fire on landing in Peru, passengers safe - VİDEO
- 29.03.2017First US goal at NATO summit to convince allies to boost defense spending
- 29.03.2017Trump signs order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- 28.03.2017Head of US intelligence inquiry refuses to step aside
- 28.03.2017UN chief calls for continued support to Jordan to aid Syrian refugees
- 28.03.2017White House under lock down after package found
- 28.03.2017Texas Attorney General leads 13-state coalition backing Trump travel ban
- 28.03.2017Tillerson to meet Erdogan during visit to Turkey this week - US State Department
- 27.03.2017White House establishing office of innovation to streamline US Government
- 27.03.2017UN Secretary General's spokesman denies de Mistura resignation rumors
- 26.03.2017Powerful explosion injures 15 people in the UK
- 26.03.2017UN urges Russia, Turkey, Iran to uphold Syria ceasefire
- 26.03.2017Trump tastes failure as U.S. House healthcare bill collapses
- 26.03.2017Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash
- 25.03.2017US sanctions 8 Russian companies over non-proliferation law
- 25.03.2017U.S. sanctions 30 firms, individuals for aiding Iran, North Korea arms programs
- 25.03.2017GOP House leader addresses media after health care replacement bill pulled
- 24.03.2017Italian Eni finds promising oil reserves off Mexican coast
- 24.03.2017Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 24.03.2017UN Security Council calls for immediate efforts to honor permanent truce in South Sudan
- 24.03.2017State Department to approve Keystone pipeline permit on Friday
- 23.03.2017US Senate Confirms Trump Nominee David Friedman to Be US Ambassador to Israel
- 23.03.2017Belgian police arrest man after car attack attempt
- 23.03.2017Empty cartridges 4 people killed in series of shootings in US
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 18.03.2017Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon
- 17.03.2017Iran sentences daughter of late president to jail for second time
- 17.03.2017McDonald's deletes Trump tweet, says Twitter account compromised
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 04.03.2017Obama 'never ordered Trump wire-tapping'
- 04.03.2017US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14