Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
Mexico’s central bank said on Tuesday that it was creating a cyber security unit, following a hack on a domestic payments system at the end of April that affected Mexican banks, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The central bank said in a notice in the government’s daily gazette that the new unit would design and issue guidelines on information security for the country’s banks, which are supervised by the central bank.
Central bank Governor Alejandro Diaz de Leon said on Monday that the country had seen an unprecedented attack on payment system connections and that he hoped that measures being taken would stop future incidents.
The attack on Mexican banks is similar to one of the biggest-ever known cyber heists, when thieves stole $81 million from Bangladesh’s central bank in 2016, said Fermin Gonzalez, head of forensic services at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Mexico.
“Perhaps, some financial institutions perceived the attacks in Bangladesh as something very distant,” he said, adding that some Mexican banks may not have invested in sufficient security measures.
“But criminals look for vulnerability and once they see it they are going to exploit it.”
The central bank has not identified which banks were hit by the cyber attack or detailed how much thieves were able to wire out to bogus accounts in other banks.
A source close to the government’s investigation said more than 300 million had been siphoned out of banks, but it was not clear how much had subsequently been taken out in cash withdrawals.
Bank Grupo Financiero Banorte (GFNORTEO.MX) said on Tuesday it does not expect the attack to hit financial results.
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018US Mississippi, Florida declare emergency over subtropical storm Alberto
- 27.05.2018Trump reaffirms commitment to meet Kim Jong-un in Singapore
- 26.05.2018Venezuela has freed U.S. missionary Josh Holt, Trump says
- 26.05.2018U.S. warns Syria of 'firm' measures for ceasefire violations
- 26.05.2018Thousands protest Argentina's negotiations with IMF
- 26.05.2018U.S., South Korean top diplomats commit to keep working on North: U.S. spokeswoman
- 26.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 112
- 25.05.2018Trump suggests North Korea summit could still happen
- 25.05.2018U.N. urges Saudi-led coalition to speed Yemen imports, avoid starvation
- 25.05.2018US to impose new sanctions against North Korea next week
- 24.05.2018UN chief hails efforts to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.05.2018US imposes new sanctions targeting Iranian airlines, four Turkish companies
- 24.05.2018Trump calls off meeting with North Korea's Kim
- 24.05.2018State Department orders two Venezuelan diplomats to leave US in 48 hours
- 24.05.2018Trump blocking critics on Twitter violates Constitution: U.S. judge
- 24.05.2018US: Pompeo says China incident matches Cuba 'attacks'
- 24.05.2018Trump says will know next week if North Korea summit to go ahead
- 24.05.2018Pompeo: U.S. will walk away from North Korea summit rather than take bad deal
- 24.05.2018U.N. Security Council approves North Korea travel to Singapore: diplomats
- 23.05.2018One killed, a dozen injured in fireworks storage blast in Spain
- 23.05.2018US Treasury vows to cancel sanctions against Russia's GAZ Group
- 23.05.2018White House continues with preparations for Trump-Kim summit
- 23.05.2018White House: US Intel Community to brief Republicans on Russiagate
- 22.05.2018Venezuela expels US diplomat over 'conspiring' against government
- 22.05.2018OPEC may decide to ease oil supply curbs in June
- 22.05.2018Facebook's Zuckerberg to apologise to EU lawmakers over data leak
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16