Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
The pro-Syrian government force the US-led coalition targeted with a strike on Thursday was an Iran-directed militia with offensive capabilities, US Defense Secretary James Mattis said in a press conference on Friday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"It [the strike] was necessitated by offensive movement with offensive capability of what we believe was Iranian-directed forces inside an established and agreed upon deconfliction zone," Mattis stated.
On Thursday, the US-led coalition against the Islamic State terror group (banned in Russia) conducted a strike near Syria's al-Tanf, where the United States and British special operations forces have been training Syrian rebel fighters near the border with Iraq and Jordan.
The coalition tried to warn off the pro-Syrian government forces prior to carrying out the airstrike. Russia also tried to get the forces to leave the area, but without success.
The coalition said it conducted the strike because the forces were perceived to be a threat to coalition troops, according to the Defense Department.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018Venezuelan refugees in Colombia exceed one million
- 24.04.2018US defense official comments on relations with Russia
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA