Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
The pro-Syrian government force the US-led coalition targeted with a strike on Thursday was an Iran-directed militia with offensive capabilities, US Defense Secretary James Mattis said in a press conference on Friday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"It [the strike] was necessitated by offensive movement with offensive capability of what we believe was Iranian-directed forces inside an established and agreed upon deconfliction zone," Mattis stated.
On Thursday, the US-led coalition against the Islamic State terror group (banned in Russia) conducted a strike near Syria's al-Tanf, where the United States and British special operations forces have been training Syrian rebel fighters near the border with Iraq and Jordan.
The coalition tried to warn off the pro-Syrian government forces prior to carrying out the airstrike. Russia also tried to get the forces to leave the area, but without success.
The coalition said it conducted the strike because the forces were perceived to be a threat to coalition troops, according to the Defense Department.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 08.02.2018Venezuela opposition weighs election run after talks end
- 08.02.2018Trump administration supports US senate version of funding legislation
- 08.02.2018EU could impose blocking regulations if U.S. pulls out of Iran deal
- 08.02.2018U.S. closer to decision on sanctioning Venezuela oil: Tillerson
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA