Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
Donald Trump has accused Iran of not acting in keeping with the international nuclear deal, 10 days before the US president has to report to Congress whether or not Tehran is complying with the 2015 accord, APA reports quoting Press TV.
"They have not lived up to the spirit of the agreement," Trump declared during a meeting with senior military leaders in the Cabinet Room of the White House in Washington, DC, on Thursday.
Trump has desperately sought a pretext to scrap or weaken the nuclear pact, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), and get rid of the limits it imposes on the US ability to pursue more hostile policies against Iran.
The Republican president faces an October 15 deadline for certifying that Iran is complying with the deal. Such certification is needed by US law every 90 days in order for Congress to continue to withhold nuclear-related sanctions against Iran, itself a US commitment under the JCPOA. If he argues that Iran is not in compliance, that could cause an American withdrawal from the international pact.
Trump on Thursday accused Iran of supporting terrorism and exporting “violence and chaos across the Middle East.”
"That is why we must put an end to Iran's continued aggression and nuclear ambitions" he said. "You will be hearing about Iran very shortly."
Trump is reportedly planning to announce next week that he will “decertify” the international nuclear agreement with Iran.
He will declare that the nuclear deal is not in the national interest of the United States and kick the issue to a reluctant Congress, The Washington Post reported on Thursday, citing people familiar with the White House strategy.
This is despite the fact that the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has recently reported that Iran is complying with the agreement.
Even, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has also acknowledged that Tehran has been in "technical compliance" with the 2015 nuclear agreement.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Mexican president's visit to White House postponed after testy Trump call
- 25.02.2018Maduro to Officially Register as Candidate for April's Election on Tuesday
- 25.02.2018Colombia extradites major drug suspect to US
- 25.02.2018UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Syria truce
- 25.02.2018U.N. Security Council demands truce as air strikes batter Syria's Ghouta
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 06.10.2017UN approves resolution to verify Colombia cease-fire
- 06.10.2017Mexico warns U.S. against 'protectionist war,' peso weakens
- 07.10.201722 dead in Central America from Tropical Storm Nate
- 06.10.2017Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal
- 05.10.2017Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe