Interpol sends expertise team for typhoon-stricken Philippines
Baku-APA. The Lyon-based Interpol announced on Tuesday that it sent an assistance team composed of experts to the Philippines to identify victims in the typhoon Haiyan which killed thousands of people in the country, APA reports quoting Xinhua.
An incident response team composed of specialists and DNA experts "will conduct an assessment of the requirements for the recovery and identification of the victims and coordinate national and international disaster victim identification (DVI) efforts," the international police organization said in a statement.
The swift and accurate identification of the thousands of victims is important to the Philippine authorities, "which is where international support and coordination is essential and where Interpol can unite the global community in these efforts," said Michael O'Connell, Interpol's director of Operational Support who is heading the team.
"Interpol's previous experience in providing this type of help can play an important role and we will continue to work with our member countries to provide whatever assistance required and requested by the Philippine authorities," he said.
The Interpol has provided similar support in the aftermath of natural disasters including the Philippines ferry disaster in Cebu in June 2008 when some 800 passengers were killed and after the catastrophic tsunami in Southeast Asia in December 2004, which claimed nearly 300,000 lives.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2017Canada opposition picks young social conservative to take on Trudeau
- 28.05.2017US: Two killed trying to stop Islamophobic abuse
- 27.05.2017Trump isolated at G7 talks over climate
- 27.05.2017Comey acted on Russian intelligence he knew was fake
- 27.05.2017Prime Minister of Canada issues statement on Ramadan
- 27.05.2017Former Jimmy Carter adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski dies at 90
- 27.05.2017Tillerson declines to host Ramadan event at State Department
- 27.05.2017As North Korea claims missile progress, Pentagon plans ICBM interceptor test
- 26.05.2017White House: Trump has no plans to ease anti-Russia sanctions, may impose more
- 26.05.2017Harvard dropout Facebook CEO gets degree after 13 years
- 26.05.2017Wall Street closes at record; crude falls 5 percent
- 25.05.2017US Fed to ‘soon’ raise interest rates
- 25.05.2017Wall Street closes higher after Fed minutes
- 25.05.2017US Senator to introduce new Russia sanctions Thursday – Spokesman
- 25.05.2017Thousands protest against Temer, reforms in Brasilia
- 25.05.2017Trump praises Duterte for anti-drug campaign in call transcript
- 24.05.2017Trump tells Netanyahu, Abbas to compromise to make peace - Tillerson
- 24.05.2017Venezuela to push ahead with assembly in July despite unrest
- 23.05.2017White House: Trump, Netanyahu pledge to work together to combat terrorism
- 23.05.2017UK police name Manchester attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 20.11.2013US court approved wider NSA spying
- 20.11.2013Pistorius faces two new charges
- 20.11.2013Most Americans Back Iran Nuclear Deal – Poll
- 20.11.2013U.S. condemns bombings in Beirut, calling for restraint
- 20.11.2013Obama urges end to self-inflicted fiscal pain
- 20.11.2013Obama asks Congress for time on Iran sanctions