Gunman in Washington state high school shooting was student - UPDATED
Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich reports that the shooter in Washington High School turned out to be a student, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The shooter at Freeman High School in Spokane County, Washington who opened fire on students earlier on Wednesday was a student himself, Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich told reporters.
"Today, that student came to school armed. He entered the school, he proceeded to taking his weapons out," Knezovich stated.
The sheriff said the shooter had two weapons, one of which jammed at the first attempt to fire. Then the student took out a second gun and shot a classmate who approached him. More rounds were fired after he hit three additional students, Knezovich added.
The incident in Spokane County was first reported at 10:30 a.m. EST (2:00 p.m. GMT). The school was immediately placed on lockdown.
Police have taken the suspect into custody, but not released his identity yet.
Knezovic said the event should prompt authorities to figure out ways to effectively deal with gun violence in public schools.
At least one person has died in a shooting that occurred at Freeman High School in Rockford, south of Spokane, Washington. Fire officials say that the threat "has been eliminated," APA reports quoting sputniknews.
At least three injuries were reported in addition to the death, according to the fire chief. The suspect is believed to be alive and in custody, and their identity has not yet been disclosed. Students and teachers were forced to hide in locked classrooms and under desks during the active shooter situation.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017UN says ongoing Daesh threat needs to be annihilated
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 14.09.2017Trump administration orders purge of Kaspersky products from U.S. government
- 14.09.2017US imposes new Iran sanctions over ballistic missile program, 'cyberattacks' - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Trump says he is close to a deal with Democrats on immigration
- 14.09.2017Training accident leaves 15 US marines injured at Camp Pendleton
- 13.09.2017Trump administration sued over warrantless searches
- 13.09.2017US notes positively Mehman Aliyev’s release