Gunman in Washington state high school shooting was student - UPDATED
Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich reports that the shooter in Washington High School turned out to be a student, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The shooter at Freeman High School in Spokane County, Washington who opened fire on students earlier on Wednesday was a student himself, Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich told reporters.
"Today, that student came to school armed. He entered the school, he proceeded to taking his weapons out," Knezovich stated.
The sheriff said the shooter had two weapons, one of which jammed at the first attempt to fire. Then the student took out a second gun and shot a classmate who approached him. More rounds were fired after he hit three additional students, Knezovich added.
The incident in Spokane County was first reported at 10:30 a.m. EST (2:00 p.m. GMT). The school was immediately placed on lockdown.
Police have taken the suspect into custody, but not released his identity yet.
Knezovic said the event should prompt authorities to figure out ways to effectively deal with gun violence in public schools.
At least one person has died in a shooting that occurred at Freeman High School in Rockford, south of Spokane, Washington. Fire officials say that the threat "has been eliminated," APA reports quoting sputniknews.
At least three injuries were reported in addition to the death, according to the fire chief. The suspect is believed to be alive and in custody, and their identity has not yet been disclosed. Students and teachers were forced to hide in locked classrooms and under desks during the active shooter situation.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.N. Security Council elects five members for two-year term
- 09.06.2018Muhammad Ali family lawyer to Trump: thanks, but no pardon needed
- 14.09.2017Trump administration orders purge of Kaspersky products from U.S. government
- 14.09.2017US imposes new Iran sanctions over ballistic missile program, 'cyberattacks' - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Trump says he is close to a deal with Democrats on immigration
- 14.09.2017Training accident leaves 15 US marines injured at Camp Pendleton
- 13.09.2017Trump administration sued over warrantless searches
- 13.09.2017US notes positively Mehman Aliyev’s release