Gunman in Washington state high school shooting was student - UPDATED
Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich reports that the shooter in Washington High School turned out to be a student, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The shooter at Freeman High School in Spokane County, Washington who opened fire on students earlier on Wednesday was a student himself, Sheriff Ozzie Knezovich told reporters.
"Today, that student came to school armed. He entered the school, he proceeded to taking his weapons out," Knezovich stated.
The sheriff said the shooter had two weapons, one of which jammed at the first attempt to fire. Then the student took out a second gun and shot a classmate who approached him. More rounds were fired after he hit three additional students, Knezovich added.
The incident in Spokane County was first reported at 10:30 a.m. EST (2:00 p.m. GMT). The school was immediately placed on lockdown.
Police have taken the suspect into custody, but not released his identity yet.
Knezovic said the event should prompt authorities to figure out ways to effectively deal with gun violence in public schools.
At least one person has died in a shooting that occurred at Freeman High School in Rockford, south of Spokane, Washington. Fire officials say that the threat "has been eliminated," APA reports quoting sputniknews.
At least three injuries were reported in addition to the death, according to the fire chief. The suspect is believed to be alive and in custody, and their identity has not yet been disclosed. Students and teachers were forced to hide in locked classrooms and under desks during the active shooter situation.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Death toll of earthquake in Mexico reach 138 - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 15.09.2017UN chief condemns North Korea’s latest missile test
- 15.09.2017Trump says internet must be ‘cut off’ to stop further terror attacks
- 15.09.2017UN Security Council to meet amid North Korea’s missile launch
- 15.09.20171 soldier killed, 7 wounded at U.S. military base
- 15.09.2017Hurricane Max downgraded to tropical storm, moves inland over Mexico
- 15.09.2017Trump repeats equivocal Charlottesville rhetoric after meeting with black senator
- 15.09.2017American fighting for ISIL captured in Syria
- 15.09.2017Lawsuit accuses Google of discriminating against women in pay, promotions
- 14.09.2017Trump administration orders purge of Kaspersky products from U.S. government
- 14.09.2017US imposes new Iran sanctions over ballistic missile program, 'cyberattacks' - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Trump says he is close to a deal with Democrats on immigration
- 14.09.2017Training accident leaves 15 US marines injured at Camp Pendleton
- 13.09.2017Trump administration sued over warrantless searches
- 13.09.2017US notes positively Mehman Aliyev’s release