Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
The United Nations (UN) is ready to play a verification role in the process to denuclearize the Korean peninsula upon the request of interested parties, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a press release on Monday, APA reports quoting sputniiknews.
"Relevant parts of the United Nations system stand ready to support this process in any way, including verification if requested by the key parties," Guterres said ahead of Tuesday’s historic meeting in Singapore between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.
The UN chief said the International Atomic Energy Agency plays a critical role in verification and has a mandate to apply safeguards on all nuclear material used for peaceful purposes as well as material removed from military programs.
Guterres also said he hopes Trump and Kim seek a breakthrough and avoid the rhetoric that alarmed the world in recent months. The Singapore summit, he added, could be a promising development towards global peace and security.
In addition, Guterres underscored the importance of the diplomatic process in denuclearization and encouraged the international community to support the North Korean people.
Trump and Kim are scheduled to have their first-ever meeting in Singapore at 9:00 a.m. local time (1:00 a.m. GMT) on Tuesday. US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, Chief of Staff John Kelly, and National Security Advisor John Bolton will participate in the bilateral meeting, according to the White House.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.N. Security Council elects five members for two-year term
- 09.06.2018Muhammad Ali family lawyer to Trump: thanks, but no pardon needed
- 08.06.2018Pompeo: Kim Jong Un has 'indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize'
- 08.06.2018Facebook admits to massive posting malfunction
- 08.06.2018Trump may invite Kim to US if summit successful
- 07.06.2018NASA exposes curiosity Rover's latest findings from Mars
- 07.06.2018Rescue work at Guatemala volcano interrupted, death toll hits 100
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump