Gunman kills two in domestic dispute in Michigan university dorm
At least two people were shot dead in what authorities said was a domestic issue at a dormitory at Central Michigan University on Friday morning and police were searching for the gunman, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The two victims who were not students were found inside the residence hall at the university, located about 125 miles (200 km) northwest of Detroit, according to university Police Lieutenant Larry Klaus. He identified the suspect as 19-year-old James Eric Davis Jr.
“Our campus is safe,” Klaus said at a news conference on Friday.“We’re calling it a family-type domestic issue at this point.” The university said no one was injured by the gunfire.
The incident came about two weeks after 17 students and educators were killed by a 19-year-old gunman with an assault-style rifle at a Florida high school.
The identities of the two Michigan victims as well as details on whether the suspect was a student and the type of weapon used were not immediately released.
Davis had contact with college police on Thursday night and was taken to a local hospital after an apparent overdose or“bad reaction to drugs,” Klaus told reporters.
The hospital has no record of Davis being a patient, Rachel Blizzard, a spokeswoman, said in an email.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2018Trump ready to expel Russian diplomats from US over Skripal case
- 24.03.2018NASA says Arctic sea ice historically low in 2018
- 24.03.2018UN: 124 million people suffer severe hunger worldwide
- 23.03.2018US charges 9 Iranians with massive cyber attacks
- 23.03.2018Russia might challenge US import duties on steel and aluminum in WTO court
- 23.03.2018US to allocate $250mn to ‘tackle Russian influence’
- 23.03.2018U.S. to allocate $726 million to Ukraine and Georgia
- 23.03.2018S&P expects four rate hikes from Fed this year
- 23.03.2018HR McMaster Out as White House National Security Adviser
- 23.03.2018Tillerson bids farewell to ‘mean-spirited’ US capital
- 23.03.2018Trump will sign spending bill into law if it passes: White House
- 22.03.2018US temporarily exempts EU, 6 countries from metal import tariffs
- 22.03.2018Trump's lead lawyer for special council investigation resigns
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 02.03.2018US permanently cuts staff at Cuba embassy
- 03.03.2018Man allegedly shoots himself near White House - US Secret Service
- 03.03.2018Man dies after shooting in Toronto
- 02.03.2018FBI counterintel investigating Ivanka Trump business deal
- 02.03.2018US National Security adviser allegedly planning to resign
- 02.03.2018US man arrested for mailing suspect letter to Trump Jr