General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
Driverless, electric Cruise AVs that have no steering wheel, pedals or gear selectors are planned for mass production by 2019, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
General Motors has revealed pictures and a video of its new invention, an innovative unmanned car that drives entirely without human control.
Versions of the car with driver controls are now undergoing a series of tests in San Francisco, California and Phoenix, Arizona.
The automotive company recently sent a petition to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration asking for permission to deploy a vehicle that doesn't fulfill all federal safety requirements.
However, GM President Dan Ammann told The Verge GM that the company might "meet that standard in a different kind of way."
"A car without a steering wheel can't have a steering wheel airbag," he said. "What we can do is put the equivalent of the passenger side airbag on that side as well. So it's to meet the standards but meet them in a way that's different than what's exactly prescribed, and that's what the petition seeks to get approval for," Ammann said.
According to the GM head, drivers will be able to communicate with a call center if any problems emerge. They can also press special buttons that bring the vehicle to a halt and allow them to exit in case of an emergency.
Social media users reacted to the news differently.
Some were rather excited about the news.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 14.04.2018NATO calls on Damascus allies to exercise responsibility after US-Led attack
- 14.04.2018U.S. strikes cripple Syria's chemical weapons ability: Pentagon
- 14.04.2018Pentagon says strikes "successfully hit every target" in Syria
- 14.04.2018Donald Trump: Mission accomplished
- 14.04.2018US says it didn’t give Russia any advance warning about targets hit in Syria strikes
- 14.04.2018US has proof Syrian regime behind gas attack: Nauert
- 14.04.2018U.S., Britain, France launch air strikes in Syria
- 14.04.2018Trump, Abe to focus on North Korea in Florida talks: U.S. official
- 14.04.2018Trump says U.S. will only rejoin Pacific trade pact if terms are improved
- 14.04.2018Ecuadorean journalists held by Colombian rebels confirmed dead
- 14.04.2018U.S says Syria government was behind chemical weapon attack
- 13.04.2018Trump pardons former vice president's chief of staff
- 13.04.2018Russia U.N. envoy says United States, France and Britain want to oust Syrian government
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded