Fed says Yellen was hospitalized for a few days, returning to work this week
Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen was hospitalized over the weekend to treat a urinary tract infection while she was vacationing with her family in London, the Fed said in a statement on Monday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"She was admitted Friday and released Monday," the Fed said. "She is returning to Washington, D.C., and expects to resume her schedule as planned this week."
It was unclear how serious Yellen's condition was.
Yellen, who is 70 years old and the most powerful figure in world finance, had a health scare in 2015, receiving emergency medical attention following a speech during which she appeared to lose concentration. Following that episode, the Fed said Yellen felt dehydrated after speaking for nearly an hour.
There was no indication of any relation between the two health incidents.
Last week, Yellen was in London for a conference on Tuesday and then stayed in the city for a vacation with her family, according to the Fed statement
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017US Army helicopter patrolling over New York collides with unknown drone
- 24.09.2017Trump accuses Iran of cooperation with North Korea after missile test launch
- 24.09.2017Death toll reaches 305 in central Mexico quake
- 24.09.2017North Korea: Nobody Except Trump Himself Is on a 'Suicide Mission'
- 23.09.2017Earthquake-hit Mexico struck by 6.1 aftershock
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 05.07.2017Venezuela's dissident state prosecutor expects to be fired
- 05.07.2017UN Security Council’s meeting on N.Korea to take place wednesday – US Mission
- 05.07.2017Rex Tillerson: "North Korea's ICBM is new escalation of the threat" to the US and the world"
- 03.07.2017US: Vehicle plows into several pedestrians in Boston
- 02.07.2017Nineteen dead after shootouts with police in Mexico's Sinaloa state
- 01.07.2017Arkansas nightclub shooting leaves many wounded