Explosion hits Argentina's grains hub Rosario: export chamber
n explosion hit port General San Martin in Argentina’s grains hub of Rosario on Wednesday, affecting shipping activities, the CIARA-CEC chamber of export companies said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
A local newspaper said more than a dozen dock workers were injured in the explosion and television images showed thick black clouds of smoke billowing from the port. Details about the cause and size of the blast were not immediately available.
“I was just informed that there was an explosion at a plant operated by Nidera, which now belongs to COFCO. There apparently were injuries but I do not know how serious,” Andres Alcaraz, spokesman for CIARA-CEC, told Reuters by telephone.
A COFCO spokesman could not immediately be reached for comment. Rosario newspaper La Capital said there were at least 17 injuries. Local police told Reuters they could not confirm details of the incident.
China’s COFCO agreed in 2014 to buy Dutch grain trader Nidera. This and other deals gave COFCO assets in some of the top grain, vegetable oil, sugar and coffee producing regions.
Argentina is the world’s top exporter of soymeal livestock feed as well as a major global supplier of corn and raw soybeans.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 28.12.2017US agrees to sell fighter jets to Nigeria
- 28.12.2017US: Power outage at Disneyland shuts attractions
- 29.12.2017Brutal cold spell sets record lows across the US
- 28.12.2017US, Russia agree to peacefully solve North Korea crisis
- 27.12.2017General Assembly approves $5.4 billion UN budget for next two years
- 27.12.2017U.S. appeals court rejects challenge to Trump voter fraud panel