Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
"We are going to conduct a bilateral meeting with my dear friend Donald, as well as a discussion between the delegations," Erdogan said ahead of the meeting on the sidelines of the annual UN General Assembly. "I would like to thank you once again for this opportunity,” he added.
Trump had high praise for his Turkish counterpart and said it was a “great honor and privilege -- because he’s become a friend of mine,” as the two men made brief remarks to reporters. "He’s running a very difficult part of the world. He’s involved very, very strongly and, frankly, he’s getting very high marks. And he’s also been working with the United States."
No official agenda for the meeting was released but a number of topics were expected to be discussed, including issues that have strained relations between the two NATO allies.
American support for groups it believes are important to the fight against Daesh in Syria but which Turkey have labeled as terror outfits has helped to exacerbate friction.
Trump and Erdogan would presumably have smoother talks regarding the plight of Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar, and the rising global tensions regarding North Korea because of that country’s nuclear and missile tests in defiance of the international community.
One major issue sure to be on Erdogan’s mind is the extradition of Fetullah Gulen -- leader of the FETO terror network that is accused of organizing a deadly coup attempt in Turkey in 2016.
Ankara has requested he be extradited to face charges in Turkey.
The Justice Department continues to process the trove of evidence sent by the Turkish government.
Erdogan concludes his four-day New York trip Thursday.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 30.06.2018Trump says Saudi king agreed to raise oil output by up to 2 million barrels
- 30.06.2018UN calls for halt to military operations in Syria
- 30.06.2018Trump says will raise election meddling with Putin in Helsinki meeting
- 30.06.2018Trump says Germany, other European nations need to spend more on NATO
- 30.06.2018Canada hits back at U.S. on tariffs, says it will not back down
- 29.06.2018US: Millions without Internet, television service
- 28.06.2018Gunman kills five at local newspaper's office in Annapolis, Maryland - UPDATED
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House