Ecuador's FM becomes UN General Assembly president
Ecuadorian Foreign Minister Maria Fernanda Espinosa Garces on Tuesday was elected as the next president of the UN General Assembly, APA reports.
She became the fourth woman president in the UN's 73-year history after defeating her rival candidate Honduras' envoy to the UN Mary Elizabeth Flores Flake by a 128-62 vote, with three abstentions.
Espinosa, who dedicated the election to "all the women in the world who participate in politics today and who face political and media attacks marked by machismo and discrimination", will now take over from the current council President, Miroslav Lajcak, in September and continue until September 2019.
While the presidency of the General Assembly is largely ceremonial, it is also prestigious and the world body does control the UN budget and adopts treaties as well as passes numerous resolutions that are not legally binding but generally reflect global opinion.
The session of the assembly is scheduled for every year starting in September -- any special, or emergency special, assemblies over the next year will be headed by the president of the UN General Assembly.
The president simply presides over the meetings, observing the parliamentary rules of order, calling on speakers, adjourning the meeting, and so forth. It's not an executive position. The actual boss of the UN is the secretary-general.
World leaders come together every year in September to hold UN General Assembly meetings in New York, where the UN headquarters is located, enabling diplomatic solutions to global problems and politics of countries.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 05.06.2018Joint roadmap for Manbij is for stabilization: US
- 06.06.2018US presence in Manbij 'subject to political discussion'
- 06.06.2018Freedom flotilla boat visits English port of Brighton
- 05.06.2018Fashion designer Kate Spade found dead
- 05.06.2018Guatemalan families continue search for victims after volcano eruption
- 05.06.2018US airstrike in Somalia kills 27 al-Shabaab militants