Donald Trump selects Federal Reserve Board Member Powell to be next Fed chairman
President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that he has nominated Jerome Powell to become the next chairman of the Federal Reserve, APA reports quoting BBC.
"It is my pleasure and my honor to announce the nomination of Jerome Powell to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve. Congratulations," Trump said at the White House.
Jerome Powell will succeed Janet Yellen who was the first woman to head the US central bank. Powell has served as a member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors for five years. Many economists claim that in his monetary policy he is a dove, emphasizing other issues rather than keeping the inflation low, but close to neutral.
Current chairman of the Federal Reserve Janet Yellen advocated against Trump's administrative and fiscal reforms, saying that in economic policy, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 12.11.2017Geneva talks should be the only platform for Syrian settlement - State Department
- 12.11.2017Mass graves discovered near Hawija in Iraq
- 12.11.2017Venezuela sets high-profile location for Monday debt talks
- 11.11.2017APEC ministers publish joint statement after wrangling over language
- 11.11.2017Oil prices slide after U.S. drillers add rigs
- 10.11.2017Colombia 'committed' to deal with FARC
- 10.11.2017Turkish premier urges US to extradite FETO leader
- 10.11.2017State Dept. denies report top envoys being depleted
- 09.11.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela: Senior gov't officials on the list
- 09.11.2017Turkish premier, US vice president meet at White House
- 09.11.2017US lawmakers renew gun control bid after Texas shooting
- 09.11.2017U.N. warns if no Yemen aid access, world will see largest famine in decades
- 09.11.2017Trump to talk trade and North Korea with Chinese leader Xi
- 03.11.2017IS claims responsibility for New York truck attack without giving evidence
- 03.11.2017Trump's Twitter account briefly 'deactivated'
- 03.11.2017The strategic importance of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway was discussed at the prestigious US radio
- 03.11.2017US cuts some tariffs on Canadian lumber import
- 03.11.2017Lavrov, Tillerson discuss fight against terrorism, national dialogue in Syria
- 02.11.2017President Trump heads to Manila for Asian Summit