Donald Trump selects Federal Reserve Board Member Powell to be next Fed chairman
President Donald Trump announced on Thursday that he has nominated Jerome Powell to become the next chairman of the Federal Reserve, APA reports quoting BBC.
"It is my pleasure and my honor to announce the nomination of Jerome Powell to be the next chairman of the Federal Reserve. Congratulations," Trump said at the White House.
Jerome Powell will succeed Janet Yellen who was the first woman to head the US central bank. Powell has served as a member of the Federal Reserve Board of Governors for five years. Many economists claim that in his monetary policy he is a dove, emphasizing other issues rather than keeping the inflation low, but close to neutral.
Current chairman of the Federal Reserve Janet Yellen advocated against Trump's administrative and fiscal reforms, saying that in economic policy, it’s better to be safe than sorry.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018U.S. Senators intend to stop transfer of F-35 fighter aircraft to Turkey
- 27.04.2018Kim Jong-un confident talks with Moon Jae-in to produce positive results
- 27.04.2018Mexico says NAFTA deal 'reasonably close' talks 'not easy'
- 27.04.2018Pentagon chief calls on Russia to help UN envoy build stability in Middle East
- 26.04.2018At least 10 hurt in blast at Wisconsin refinery
- 26.04.2018US to expand Syria operation: Defense Secretary Mattis
- 26.04.2018Senate Confirms C.I.A. Chief Mike Pompeo to Be Secretary of State
- 26.04.2018US not seeking to reopen Iran nuclear deal, envoy says
- 26.04.2018U.S. probing Huawei for possible Iran sanctions violations
- 25.04.2018Senate confirms new director of National Security Agency
- 25.04.2018US urges all sides in Armenia to engage constructively on transition of power
- 25.04.2018Trump and France's Macron seek new measures on Iran as deadline looms
- 25.04.2018US: 2 officers, 1 civilian shot in Texas
- 25.04.2018Venezuelan refugees in Colombia exceed one million
- 24.04.2018US defense official comments on relations with Russia
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 03.11.2017IS claims responsibility for New York truck attack without giving evidence
- 03.11.2017Trump's Twitter account briefly 'deactivated'
- 03.11.2017The strategic importance of the Baku-Tbilisi-Kars railway was discussed at the prestigious US radio
- 03.11.2017US cuts some tariffs on Canadian lumber import
- 03.11.2017Lavrov, Tillerson discuss fight against terrorism, national dialogue in Syria
- 02.11.2017President Trump heads to Manila for Asian Summit