Death toll of anti-government protests in Venezuela reaches seven
The number of those killed in the anti-government protests currently transpiring in Venezuela has risen to seven, local media reported Thursday, citing Julio Borges, head of the opposition-controlled parliament, APA reports quoting CNN.
According to earlier reports, five people were killed in the protests, which were sparked after the country’s Supreme Court attempted to take on the legislative functions of the country's National Assembly, controlled by the opposition. The court's ruling, however, was later reversed.
According to El Universal newspaper, Borges blamed the Venezuelan authorities for the deaths and urged the army to disarm the militarized troops backing President Nicolas Maduro.
"Civil militarized armed groups should be banned, since it contradicts the existence of the Venezuelan military forces, the only one who have a monopoly on the use of weapons in the country," Borges said, as quoted by the newspaper.
Earlier on Thursday, the Nacional newspaper reported that Venezuelan security forces dispersed another opposition protest, which was blocking one of the main highways of the country's capital Caracas, by using tear gas and rubber bullets.
Venezuela has seen a series of demonstrations this week which were triggered by the country’s Supreme Court move amid a severe economic crisis in the country.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 14.04.20171 killed, 3 wounded in Atlanta metro shooting
- 14.04.2017Nearly 1,700 people evacuated in Uruguay amid floods
- 15.04.2017U.S. 'Mother of all bombs' owes origins to specialized anti-Nazi weapons
- 14.04.2017Trump claims North Korea 'problem' to be 'taken care of'
- 14.04.2017CIA chief calls WikiLeaks a 'hostile intelligence service'
- 14.04.2017Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24