Death toll of anti-government protests in Venezuela reaches seven
The number of those killed in the anti-government protests currently transpiring in Venezuela has risen to seven, local media reported Thursday, citing Julio Borges, head of the opposition-controlled parliament, APA reports quoting CNN.
According to earlier reports, five people were killed in the protests, which were sparked after the country’s Supreme Court attempted to take on the legislative functions of the country's National Assembly, controlled by the opposition. The court's ruling, however, was later reversed.
According to El Universal newspaper, Borges blamed the Venezuelan authorities for the deaths and urged the army to disarm the militarized troops backing President Nicolas Maduro.
"Civil militarized armed groups should be banned, since it contradicts the existence of the Venezuelan military forces, the only one who have a monopoly on the use of weapons in the country," Borges said, as quoted by the newspaper.
Earlier on Thursday, the Nacional newspaper reported that Venezuelan security forces dispersed another opposition protest, which was blocking one of the main highways of the country's capital Caracas, by using tear gas and rubber bullets.
Venezuela has seen a series of demonstrations this week which were triggered by the country’s Supreme Court move amid a severe economic crisis in the country.
Related news releases
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 08.02.2018Venezuela opposition weighs election run after talks end
- 08.02.2018Trump administration supports US senate version of funding legislation
- 08.02.2018EU could impose blocking regulations if U.S. pulls out of Iran deal
- 08.02.2018U.S. closer to decision on sanctioning Venezuela oil: Tillerson
- 14.04.20171 killed, 3 wounded in Atlanta metro shooting
- 14.04.2017Nearly 1,700 people evacuated in Uruguay amid floods
- 15.04.2017U.S. 'Mother of all bombs' owes origins to specialized anti-Nazi weapons
- 14.04.2017Trump claims North Korea 'problem' to be 'taken care of'
- 14.04.2017CIA chief calls WikiLeaks a 'hostile intelligence service'
- 14.04.2017Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24