Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
The death toll from a storm that ravaged Santa Barbara County in the US state of California has reached 18, County Sheriff Bill Brown has said, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"I’m saddened to report today that another victim was located, bringing the total number of fatal casualties from this tragic incident to 18," Sheriff Brown told reporters.
He said the 87-year-old man was located by a search and rescue team at his residence in the worst-hit area of Montecito. The sheriff added six people remained on the missing persons' list.
The list of Tuesday’s storm victims was published on Thursday. They range in ages from three years to late eighties. A two-year-old girl remains missing.
Earlier, mudslides and flooding have swept away a hundred homes in Santa Barbara County’s Montecito area and prompted the evacuation of 21,000 people across Southern California.
Related news releases
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 30.06.2018Trump says Saudi king agreed to raise oil output by up to 2 million barrels
- 30.06.2018UN calls for halt to military operations in Syria
- 30.06.2018Trump says will raise election meddling with Putin in Helsinki meeting
- 30.06.2018Trump says Germany, other European nations need to spend more on NATO
- 30.06.2018Canada hits back at U.S. on tariffs, says it will not back down
- 29.06.2018US: Millions without Internet, television service
- 28.06.2018Gunman kills five at local newspaper's office in Annapolis, Maryland - UPDATED
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses