Clashes break out between Chilean police, students
Police used teargas and water cannons to break up the rally which was held in front of the presidential palace in Chile’s capital Santiago on Tuesday.
The protesters, who were mostly students, were seeking to pressure President Michelle Bachelet to reform Chile's education system.
They argued that the current educational reform plans do not go far enough and contradict the expectations that it created.
The president, who took office for a second non-consecutive term this March, had promised in his campaign to revamp the country’s educational system, which strongly favors for-profit private schools.
On May 21, Chilean police forces used teargas and water cannons to breakup rallies held by thousands of student and environmentalist protesters in the Chilean port city of Valparaiso.
On May 8, tens of thousands of students marched peacefully toward the presidential palace, demanding deep changes to the education system, which they say is suffering from poor quality public schools, unprepared teachers and expensive private universities.
The rally, however, turned violent in the end when hooded demonstrators clashed with police, throwing rocks and petrol bombs. Police officers reportedly used water cannon and tear gas to disperse the protesters.
Since 2011, Chilean high school and university students have been engaged in spirited protests, calling for a free and universal education system.
Protesters demand reform of the education system that would put the state back in control of the mostly privatized public universities.
Related news releases
- 24.08.2016Pentagon: US jets conducted airstrikes supporting Turkish efforts to clear Daesh from Jarabulus
- 24.08.2016U.S. to provide air support for Turkish operation in Syria
- 24.08.2016Indianapolis police shoot homeowner, not the actual robbery suspect
- 24.08.2016FETO's top coup plotter made suspicious Clinton donation
- 23.08.2016Nigeria must strike at roots of extremism: US' Kerry
- 23.08.2016State Department: Turkey formally requests extradition for Fetullah Gulen
- 23.08.2016Clinton holds lead over Trump, but trails him among white voters: poll
- 23.08.2016US: Judge orders review of 15,000 new Clinton emails
- 23.08.2016U.S., South Korea begin joint drills amid tension after defection
- 22.08.2016John Kerry addresses regional security issues in Kenya
- 22.08.2016Biden to voice support for Turkey, blast coup on visit
- 21.08.2016Armed attackers kidnap, kill eight in Mexico
- 20.08.2016Los Angeles nightclub shooting leaves several dead
- 20.08.2016U.S. Justice Dept to send team to Turkey for Gulen probe
- 20.08.2016Biden, Ukraine's Poroshenko discuss surge in fighting in eastern Ukraine: White House
- 20.08.2016NASA astronauts complete six-hour spacewalk
- 20.08.2016U.S. withdraws staff from Saudi Arabia dedicated to Yemen planning
- 19.08.2016Trump campaign chairman resigns amid slump
- 19.08.2016Mexico’s Human Rights Commission accuses police of extrajudicial executions
- 19.08.2016Trump says he regrets past remarks that 'caused personal pain'
- 19.08.2016U.N. welcomes Russian words on Aleppo truce, trucks 'ready to move'
- 19.08.2016US Fed joins Facebook
- 18.08.2016Twitter suspended 360,000 accounts for 'promotion of terrorism'
- 18.08.2016US to end federal use of private prisons
- 18.08.2016US Fed officials divided on rate hike
- 17.08.2016Son of drug lord 'El Chapo' Guzman kidnapped in Mexico
- 17.08.2016US: Louisiana towns face floods as recovery begins
- 17.08.2016Clinton names close confidants, Obama veterans to transition team
- 16.08.2016Russia says Lavrov and Kerry discussed Syria deal on phone
- 16.08.2016Two Fed rate hikes 'conceivable' in 2016, September in play: Lockhart
- 16.08.2016FBI to give Congress report on lack of charges over Clinton's email use
- 16.08.2016Turkey could provide Incirlik airbase for Russian anti-terror campaign
- 16.08.2016Pentagon announces single largest transfer of Guantanamo inmates
- 16.08.20169 killed in southern Peru earthquake
- 16.08.2016US Air Force tests first smart-weapon launcher for bomber fleet
- 14.08.2016Turkish journalist attacked on the street in Rio
- 14.08.2016New York imam fatally shot after afternoon prayers
- 14.08.2016Horror in North Carolina: Gunmen opens fire in a mall, at least one shot - VİDEO
- 13.08.2016Va. plane crash dead were from Indiana, Kentucky, Germany
- 13.08.2016Saudi-Led coalition's airstrike kills 10 children in Yemen
- 12.06.2014Brazil police fear protest violence at World Cup opener
- 13.06.2014Security Council condemns terror attacks in Iraq
- 13.06.2014Obama to decide on Iraq strikes ‘in the days ahead’
- 11.06.2014Three wounded in shootout in downtown of Canada’s Vancouver
- 11.06.2014Brazil kicks off political primaries
- 11.06.2014U.S. approves first commercial drone flights over land