Clashes break out between Chilean police, students
Police used teargas and water cannons to break up the rally which was held in front of the presidential palace in Chile’s capital Santiago on Tuesday.
The protesters, who were mostly students, were seeking to pressure President Michelle Bachelet to reform Chile's education system.
They argued that the current educational reform plans do not go far enough and contradict the expectations that it created.
The president, who took office for a second non-consecutive term this March, had promised in his campaign to revamp the country’s educational system, which strongly favors for-profit private schools.
On May 21, Chilean police forces used teargas and water cannons to breakup rallies held by thousands of student and environmentalist protesters in the Chilean port city of Valparaiso.
On May 8, tens of thousands of students marched peacefully toward the presidential palace, demanding deep changes to the education system, which they say is suffering from poor quality public schools, unprepared teachers and expensive private universities.
The rally, however, turned violent in the end when hooded demonstrators clashed with police, throwing rocks and petrol bombs. Police officers reportedly used water cannon and tear gas to disperse the protesters.
Since 2011, Chilean high school and university students have been engaged in spirited protests, calling for a free and universal education system.
Protesters demand reform of the education system that would put the state back in control of the mostly privatized public universities.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 12.06.2014Brazil police fear protest violence at World Cup opener
- 13.06.2014Security Council condemns terror attacks in Iraq
- 13.06.2014Obama to decide on Iraq strikes ‘in the days ahead’
- 11.06.2014Three wounded in shootout in downtown of Canada’s Vancouver
- 11.06.2014Brazil kicks off political primaries
- 11.06.2014U.S. approves first commercial drone flights over land