At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
At least one person was killed and over 30 were injured on Saturday in the US city of Charlottesville, Virginia, where violent clashes between far-right nationalists and counter-protesters have been continuing since morning, city authorities said, APA reports quoting BBC.
Earlier in the day, a car ran into a crowd of protesters in the city causing multiple injuries. According to media reports, the police detained the driver.
"1 deceased, 19 injured in crash at 4th and Water streets. Fifteen other injuries reported related to rally downtown," the authorities said on the official Twitter account of Charlottesville city government.
City Mayor Mike Signer expressed condolences over this tragedy.
"I am heartbroken that a life has been lost here. I urge all people of good will — go home," Singer said on Twitter.
The governor of Virginia declared a state of emergency as thousands of white nationalists joined a violent rally held by Unite the Right in Emancipation Park protesting the removal of a statue honoring Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee, which glorifies the era of slavery as critics say.
Media reported that up to 6,000 far-right activists including neo-Nazis arrived in Charlottesville to participate in the rally.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017UN agencies offer emergency assistance to Iraqis fleeing Tal Afar
- 23.08.2017Maduro: Venezuela-US relations at ‘worst moment’
- 23.08.2017US talked to Russia, China about role in Afghan peace process - Tillerson
- 22.08.2017China urges U.S. to fix 'mistake' of sanctioning firms over North Korea
- 22.08.2017US backs Iraq’s territorial integrity: Defense minister
- 22.08.2017Unknown security threat causes lockdown at White House
- 22.08.2017Protesters storm Charlottesville city council meeting
- 22.08.2017U.S., North Korea clash at U.N. forum over nuclear weapons
- 22.08.2017US adds 4 Russian nationals in sanctions list
- 22.08.2017Trump: No timetable for Afghan troop withdrawal
- 21.08.2017Secret Service budget takes blow protecting Trump
- 20.08.2017Second officer dies in Florida police shooting
- 20.08.2017Veteran NAFTA negotiators likely to deflect political pressures
- 20.08.2017Counterprotest derails 'free speech' rally in US city
- 19.08.2017Boston march against right-wing rally draws thousands
- 19.08.2017Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude strikes west of Tonga
- 19.08.2017US has no intention to stay in Syria: State Dept
- 19.08.2017Romania negotiating to buy U.S. rocket systems worth $1.25 billion: Pentagon
- 19.08.2017U.S. State Department email restored after global outage
- 19.08.2017Oil jumps 3 percent as dollar falls, U.S. rig count drops
- 18.08.2017Rare US solar eclipse to help unlock sun's secrets
- 18.08.2017Trump fires adviser Bannon
- 18.08.2017UN Security Council condemns Barcelona terrorist attack
- 17.08.2017White House chief of staff briefs Trump on Barcelona incident
- 17.08.2017At least 13 dead in terror attack in Barcelona - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 17.08.2017Clashes at Venezuelan Prison Kill 37 Inmates, Wound 4
- 17.08.2017At least six killed in suspected gang attack at Guatemala hospital
- 17.08.2017Mike Pence urges four South American nations to cut contacts with North Korea
- 17.08.2017US Black Hawk missing in Hawaii, search underway for crew
- 17.08.2017Trump ends business councils after mass resignations
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 13.08.20172 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US