Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
A man in California has been jailed for 16 years after admitting he stole and tortured cats, killing 18 of them, APA reports quoting BBC.
The name of each cat killed by Robert Farmer, 26, was read out to him by the judge in Santa Clara Superior Court.
One of the cats showed signs of having been sexually abused, experts said.
Farmer committed the crimes in San Jose in 2015. He was found sleeping in his car in October that year with a dead cat in the centre console and chunks of fur elsewhere in the vehicle.
The cats all went missing in the Cambrian Park area of San Jose in the autumn of 2015. Several pets were found dead, two of them in rubbish bins.
The Mercury News website said that video footage from a security camera showed a young man taking a 17-year-old cat named GoGo. Residents pointed police to Farmer.
GoGo was among the cats who were never found.
Owner Miriam Petrova was at the court on Friday.
She told NBC News: "We finally can say goodbye to every cat that was involved in this tragedy."
Farmer admitted 21 felony counts of animal cruelty - killing 18 cats and wounding three - along with misdemeanour battery and being under the influence.
A letter by him, read out by his lawyer, said: "It feels like another man committed these crimes, but I know it was me. It's so hard to grasp I did this. I stole a member of their family. The fact that I was out of my mind was no excuse."
Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Alexandra Ellis dismissed the letter as an attempt to win leniency.
"The judge agreed with my analysis. She sentenced him to 16 years, we can only hope it is long enough," she said.
Farmer was also banned from owning or caring for a pet for 10 years after his release, and was given a restriction order keeping him away from Cambrian Park.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death