Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
A man in California has been jailed for 16 years after admitting he stole and tortured cats, killing 18 of them, APA reports quoting BBC.
The name of each cat killed by Robert Farmer, 26, was read out to him by the judge in Santa Clara Superior Court.
One of the cats showed signs of having been sexually abused, experts said.
Farmer committed the crimes in San Jose in 2015. He was found sleeping in his car in October that year with a dead cat in the centre console and chunks of fur elsewhere in the vehicle.
The cats all went missing in the Cambrian Park area of San Jose in the autumn of 2015. Several pets were found dead, two of them in rubbish bins.
The Mercury News website said that video footage from a security camera showed a young man taking a 17-year-old cat named GoGo. Residents pointed police to Farmer.
GoGo was among the cats who were never found.
Owner Miriam Petrova was at the court on Friday.
She told NBC News: "We finally can say goodbye to every cat that was involved in this tragedy."
Farmer admitted 21 felony counts of animal cruelty - killing 18 cats and wounding three - along with misdemeanour battery and being under the influence.
A letter by him, read out by his lawyer, said: "It feels like another man committed these crimes, but I know it was me. It's so hard to grasp I did this. I stole a member of their family. The fact that I was out of my mind was no excuse."
Santa Clara County Deputy District Attorney Alexandra Ellis dismissed the letter as an attempt to win leniency.
"The judge agreed with my analysis. She sentenced him to 16 years, we can only hope it is long enough," she said.
Farmer was also banned from owning or caring for a pet for 10 years after his release, and was given a restriction order keeping him away from Cambrian Park.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death