Canada may impose further Venezuelan sanctions
Further sanctions may be needed against Venezuela to punish the anti-democratic actions of President Nicolas Maduro, Canadian Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland said Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Speaking to reporters after a meeting in Toronto of the Lima group of regional Latin American countries, Freeland said Canada was considering another round of sanctions.
“Other countries should consider doing so as well,” she said. “If necessary we must put added pressure on the Maduro regime by taking concrete steps to further isolate it from the international community.”
In September, Canada leveled sanctions against 40 senior Venezuelan officials.
The Lima group, which has around 15 members including Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina and Peru, took issue last week with the Venezuelan national election.
Maduro’s ruling Socialist Party captured 18 of 23 governorships, despite extreme economic hardship and intense anger at the government by millions of Venezuelans forced to tolerate food shortages and rising inflation.
Protests against the government have seen 125 deaths and thousands of arrests and injuries, and the opposition is beginning to break apart under the oppression. The Lima group urged Thursday that opposition groups remain together.
“It’s a very important point,” Freeland said. “The people of Venezuela in their struggle to re-establish democracy in their country…deserve an opposition which is united and can represent them effectively.”
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.N. Security Council elects five members for two-year term
- 09.06.2018Muhammad Ali family lawyer to Trump: thanks, but no pardon needed
- 08.06.2018Pompeo: Kim Jong Un has 'indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize'
- 27.10.2017US Congress receives list of Russian entities targeted under new sanctions
- 27.10.2017U.S. State Department: "Catalonia is an integral part of Spain"
- 28.10.2017State Department: Sanctions against Russia not 'competitive tool' on arms market
- 27.10.2017US' opioid crisis a national health emergency: Trump
- 26.10.2017U.S. sanctions North Koreans over forced labor, other alleged abuses
- 26.10.2017Twitter bans RT and Sputnik ads amid election interference fears