Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24
At least 24 people were killed and nine were injured on Thursday in a head-on collision in southwestern Mexico between a bus and a fuel tanker truck which exploded, seriously burning some of the victims, authorities said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Rescue workers were still clearing the site, said an official for federal police in Petacalco just inside Guerrero state where it borders neighboring Michoacan.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some of the victims were severely burned after the two vehicles smashed into each other near the Pacific coast.
The state government of Guerrero said in a statement that nine people were injured in addition to the 24 dead.
Police said the bus was traveling to the coast when it hit the tanker, which had left the port of Lazaro Cardenas.
The cause of the collision was not immediately clear, the official said.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 14.04.2017CIA chief calls WikiLeaks a 'hostile intelligence service'
- 14.04.2017Trump claims North Korea 'problem' to be 'taken care of'
- 14.04.2017Death toll of anti-government protests in Venezuela reaches seven
- 13.04.2017Trump refuses to confirm he authorized use of giant bomb in Afghanistan
- 13.04.2017NASA: Nearby ocean worlds could be best bet for life beyond Earth
- 13.04.2017Pentagon drops 'mother of all bombs' in Afghanistan for first time ever - UPDATED