Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24
At least 24 people were killed and nine were injured on Thursday in a head-on collision in southwestern Mexico between a bus and a fuel tanker truck which exploded, seriously burning some of the victims, authorities said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Rescue workers were still clearing the site, said an official for federal police in Petacalco just inside Guerrero state where it borders neighboring Michoacan.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some of the victims were severely burned after the two vehicles smashed into each other near the Pacific coast.
The state government of Guerrero said in a statement that nine people were injured in addition to the 24 dead.
Police said the bus was traveling to the coast when it hit the tanker, which had left the port of Lazaro Cardenas.
The cause of the collision was not immediately clear, the official said.
Related news releases
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 18.05.2017Brazilian Supreme Court Authorizes opening of investigation against President
- 18.05.2017One person dead, at least 13 injured after car hits pedestrians in the U.S. - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 18.05.2017Private jet crash kills 2 in central Mexico
- 18.05.2017Anti-government protests claim another life in Venezuela
- 18.05.2017US: Special counsel appointed to FBI's Russia probe
- 18.05.2017Trump calls Netanyahu amid intelligence sharing controversy
- 18.05.2017U.S. extends sanctions relief under Iran nuclear deal
- 17.05.2017Venezuelan government prolongs economic emergency for seventh time
- 17.05.2017One killed, 25 injured in Tornado in US State of Wisconsin
- 17.05.2017White House won't release list of persons present during Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017White House fence jumper arrested
- 16.05.2017Mexico expects NAFTA talks by late August: economy minister
- 16.05.2017US Treasury adds more anti-Syria sanctions: 2 Assad's cousins on the list
- 16.05.2017Trump: "US backs Turkey in the fight against terrorist groups like ISIS and the PKK" - UPDATED
- 16.05.2017Trump revealed intelligence secrets to Russians in Oval Office: officials
- 16.05.2017Another journalist killed as Mexico struggles to contain violence
- 16.05.2017Small plane crashes at Teterboro airport in New Jersey
- 16.05.2017Washington calls on Russia, China to do everything possible on North Korea sanctions
- 16.05.2017Cyber attack's spread slows; security stocks gain
- 14.05.2017Trump pledges to move quickly to name new FBI director
- 14.04.2017CIA chief calls WikiLeaks a 'hostile intelligence service'
- 14.04.2017Trump claims North Korea 'problem' to be 'taken care of'
- 14.04.2017Death toll of anti-government protests in Venezuela reaches seven
- 13.04.2017Trump refuses to confirm he authorized use of giant bomb in Afghanistan
- 13.04.2017NASA: Nearby ocean worlds could be best bet for life beyond Earth
- 13.04.2017Pentagon drops 'mother of all bombs' in Afghanistan for first time ever - UPDATED