Bus crash with fuel tanker in Mexico kills at least 24
At least 24 people were killed and nine were injured on Thursday in a head-on collision in southwestern Mexico between a bus and a fuel tanker truck which exploded, seriously burning some of the victims, authorities said, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Rescue workers were still clearing the site, said an official for federal police in Petacalco just inside Guerrero state where it borders neighboring Michoacan.
The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said some of the victims were severely burned after the two vehicles smashed into each other near the Pacific coast.
The state government of Guerrero said in a statement that nine people were injured in addition to the 24 dead.
Police said the bus was traveling to the coast when it hit the tanker, which had left the port of Lazaro Cardenas.
The cause of the collision was not immediately clear, the official said.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Trump blocking critics on Twitter violates Constitution: U.S. judge
- 24.05.2018US: Pompeo says China incident matches Cuba 'attacks'
- 24.05.2018Trump says will know next week if North Korea summit to go ahead
- 24.05.2018Pompeo: U.S. will walk away from North Korea summit rather than take bad deal
- 24.05.2018U.N. Security Council approves North Korea travel to Singapore: diplomats
- 23.05.2018One killed, a dozen injured in fireworks storage blast in Spain
- 23.05.2018US Treasury vows to cancel sanctions against Russia's GAZ Group
- 23.05.2018White House continues with preparations for Trump-Kim summit
- 23.05.2018White House: US Intel Community to brief Republicans on Russiagate
- 22.05.2018Venezuela expels US diplomat over 'conspiring' against government
- 22.05.2018OPEC may decide to ease oil supply curbs in June
- 22.05.2018Facebook's Zuckerberg to apologise to EU lawmakers over data leak
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 14.04.2017CIA chief calls WikiLeaks a 'hostile intelligence service'
- 14.04.2017Trump claims North Korea 'problem' to be 'taken care of'
- 14.04.2017Death toll of anti-government protests in Venezuela reaches seven
- 13.04.2017Trump refuses to confirm he authorized use of giant bomb in Afghanistan
- 13.04.2017NASA: Nearby ocean worlds could be best bet for life beyond Earth
- 13.04.2017Pentagon drops 'mother of all bombs' in Afghanistan for first time ever - UPDATED