Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe
The head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee was arrested Thursday as part of an investigation into a bribery scandal in which officials may have paid money to win Rio de Janeiro the 2016 Summer Games, APA reports quoting CNN.
Authorities alleged Carlos Arthur Nuzman was involved in a vote-buying scheme to award the Brazilian city as host.
They believe Nuzman was an intermediary in a payment in 2009 to Lamine Diack, who was president of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) during the selection process.
Another senior Brazilian Olympics official, Leonardo Gryner, was also detained Thursday for allegedly making a deal with Diack to deposit money in his bank account the same week Rio was chosen for the games.
Businessman Arthur Soares and former Rio State Governor Sergio Cabral have also been snared in the investigation.
Soares, known as “King Arthur”, is accused of paying Cabral enormous bribes as a result of fraudulent construction contracts in the city.
“An extensive documentation and solid evidence revealed that Cabral’s criminal organization bought [the] president of the International Association of Athletics Federations Lamine Diack’s vote for USD 2 million,” according to the Public Ministry.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Mexican president's visit to White House postponed after testy Trump call
- 25.02.2018Maduro to Officially Register as Candidate for April's Election on Tuesday
- 25.02.2018Colombia extradites major drug suspect to US
- 25.02.2018UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Syria truce
- 25.02.2018U.N. Security Council demands truce as air strikes batter Syria's Ghouta
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal
- 06.10.2017Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
- 06.10.2017Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
- 05.10.2017Las Vegas gunman's girlfriend says she had 'no idea he was planning violence'
- 05.10.2017Canada relaxes rules on citizenship requirements
- 04.10.2017US: Tillerson denies report he thought of resigning