Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe
The head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee was arrested Thursday as part of an investigation into a bribery scandal in which officials may have paid money to win Rio de Janeiro the 2016 Summer Games, APA reports quoting CNN.
Authorities alleged Carlos Arthur Nuzman was involved in a vote-buying scheme to award the Brazilian city as host.
They believe Nuzman was an intermediary in a payment in 2009 to Lamine Diack, who was president of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) during the selection process.
Another senior Brazilian Olympics official, Leonardo Gryner, was also detained Thursday for allegedly making a deal with Diack to deposit money in his bank account the same week Rio was chosen for the games.
Businessman Arthur Soares and former Rio State Governor Sergio Cabral have also been snared in the investigation.
Soares, known as “King Arthur”, is accused of paying Cabral enormous bribes as a result of fraudulent construction contracts in the city.
“An extensive documentation and solid evidence revealed that Cabral’s criminal organization bought [the] president of the International Association of Athletics Federations Lamine Diack’s vote for USD 2 million,” according to the Public Ministry.
Related news releases
- 18.10.2017US: 3 dead, 2 injured in Maryland shooting
- 18.10.2017Tillerson expresses support for Iraq’s unity
- 18.10.2017Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'
- 18.10.2017More than 90 percent of Raqqa liberated: Pentagon
- 18.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro defends disputed vote, opposition divided
- 18.10.2017US senators reach tentative health care deal
- 18.10.2017George Saunders wins the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo
- 17.10.2017US to 'not take sides' in Iraqi-Kurdish dispute: Trump
- 17.10.2017US forces kill dozens of Daesh fighters in Yemen
- 15.10.2017Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland
- 15.10.2017Approach to Iran exposes growing irritation between U.S. and allies
- 14.10.2017Magnitude 5.4 quake rumbles southern Mexico, no reports of damage
- 14.10.2017Mattis says U.S. working to ensure situation around Kirkuk does not escalate
- 13.10.2017Donald Trump makes a statement on new Iranian strategy
- 13.10.2017US adds Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps to sanctions list
- 13.10.2017Trump strikes blow against Iran nuclear deal in major U.S. policy shift
- 13.10.2017Tillerson: Trump to stay in Iran nuclear deal, but decertify Tehran's compliance
- 13.10.2017US hopes to dialogue with Turkey over visa spat
- 13.10.2017Trump to announce US strategy on Iran on Friday: White House
- 13.10.2017Niger ambush that killed eight the work of new ISIL offshoot: Pentagon
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 12.10.2017UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires
- 12.10.2017US officials ‘respectfully' took down Russian flags - State Department
- 12.10.2017Mattis says U.S. will work to stay aligned with Turkey despite diplomatic tensions
- 12.10.2017US energy agency revises up oil price forecast
- 12.10.2017US: Fed officials split on interest rate increase
- 12.10.2017Trump says could envision trade deal with Canada without Mexico
- 12.10.2017US ‘committed’ to restarting Mideast talks: Jordan king
- 12.10.2017Trump denies seeking nearly tenfold increase in U.S. nuclear arsenal
- 11.10.2017At least 13 killed in prison riot in northern Mexico
- 11.10.2017US: Turkey visa decision a 'coordinated effort'
- 11.10.2017Sears Canada to seek liquidation, then closure
- 11.10.2017Trump to announce broad Iran strategy this week: White House
- 10.10.2017Trump says he's likely to sign healthcare order this week
- 10.10.2017Texas Tech Police Officer Shot and Killed; Suspect in Custody
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal
- 06.10.2017Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
- 06.10.2017Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
- 05.10.2017Las Vegas gunman's girlfriend says she had 'no idea he was planning violence'
- 05.10.2017Canada relaxes rules on citizenship requirements
- 04.10.2017US: Tillerson denies report he thought of resigning