Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe
The head of the Brazilian Olympic Committee was arrested Thursday as part of an investigation into a bribery scandal in which officials may have paid money to win Rio de Janeiro the 2016 Summer Games, APA reports quoting CNN.
Authorities alleged Carlos Arthur Nuzman was involved in a vote-buying scheme to award the Brazilian city as host.
They believe Nuzman was an intermediary in a payment in 2009 to Lamine Diack, who was president of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) during the selection process.
Another senior Brazilian Olympics official, Leonardo Gryner, was also detained Thursday for allegedly making a deal with Diack to deposit money in his bank account the same week Rio was chosen for the games.
Businessman Arthur Soares and former Rio State Governor Sergio Cabral have also been snared in the investigation.
Soares, known as “King Arthur”, is accused of paying Cabral enormous bribes as a result of fraudulent construction contracts in the city.
“An extensive documentation and solid evidence revealed that Cabral’s criminal organization bought [the] president of the International Association of Athletics Federations Lamine Diack’s vote for USD 2 million,” according to the Public Ministry.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal
- 06.10.2017Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
- 06.10.2017Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
- 05.10.2017Las Vegas gunman's girlfriend says she had 'no idea he was planning violence'
- 05.10.2017Canada relaxes rules on citizenship requirements
- 04.10.2017US: Tillerson denies report he thought of resigning