Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
Azerbaijan is deeply concerned over wars and armed conflicts in a number of the OIC Member said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov at the at Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
“First of all I would like to point that, according to the order of President of the Republic of Azerbaijan H.E. Mr.Ilham Aliyev 100 tons of humanitarian aid has been sent to help Rohingya Muslims of Myanmar who are suffering at the result of ongoing mass violence. The current situation regarding misunderstanding of Islam in some parts of World confirms vital necessity to strengthen our joint actions to counter Islamophobia. We are pleased to see the growing international support for the State of Palestine. I would like to reaffirm Azerbaijan’s full support to the brotherly people of Palestine in their struggle for
achieving peace, stability and sustainable development. Azerbaijan consistently stands for the two-state solution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with East Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Palestine. 20-21 July 2017 we hosted International Conference on the Question of Yerusalem in Baku, with the participation of Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestine People, United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and representatives of other non-governmental and civil society organizations which has been concluded with the introduction of a communiqué on behalf of its organizers condemning the recent closure of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and restrictions on worshippers therein .
Azerbaijani minister expressed gratitude on behalf of my Government and people of Azerbaijan to our Organization and its member states for full support to the just position of Azerbaijan with regard to the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against Republic of Azerbaijan, which resulted with 20% of Azerbaijani lands under occupation with notorious ethnic cleansing of 1 million Azerbaijanis from the places of their origin:
“The Republic of Azerbaijan once again underlines that it shall never reconcile with the
occupation of its territories. The resolution of the conflict is possible only on the basis of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan within its internationally recognized borders. In this regards, we also welcome the report of the meeting of the OIC Contact Group on the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against Republic of Azerbaijan, which was held here in the UN headquarters on September 19, 2017.
The statements and warmongering rhetoric of political-military leadership of Armenia and the attempts to boycott and precondition the substantive negotiations indicate the apparent unwillingness of the Armenia to engage constructively for the settlement of conflict. As you know, this year we marked the 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide with a heavy heart. Over the night of the 25 to 26 February 1992, following massive artillery bombardment of Khojaly, the assault on the town began from various directions. As a result of which, the armed forces of Armenia, with the help of the infantry guards regiment No.366 of the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR), implemented the seizure of Khojaly. Invaders destroyed Khojaly and with the particular brutality implemented carnage over its peaceful population. As a result, 613 civilians were killed, including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly. Another 1000 people were wounded and 1275 taken hostage. To this day, 150 people from Khojaly remain missing.
Taking the opportunity I would like once again to express my gratitude to the Secretary General of OIC Mr. Yusef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen and the member states for the fair position and support in the adoption of the resolutions entitled “The aggression of the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan”, “On the solidarity with the victims of the Khojaly massacre of 1992”, “Destruction of monuments belonging to Islamic history and culture in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as a result of Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan” and other documents within the 44th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of OIC passed on July 10- 11, 2017 in Abidjan. ”
Mammadyarov noted that 2017 was declared as Year of Islamic Solidarity by the decree of the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: “This Year has been a successful year for us in regard of the reinforcing of the Islamic solidarity. We were very glad to host OIC Secretary General and other high representatives of member states in the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue and 4th Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku. We were honored and hoping that all our efforts will help to reinforce the bonds of unity, amity and fraternity between Muslims."
Related news releases
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks
- 10.03.2018UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 23.09.2017Earthquake-hit Mexico struck by 6.1 aftershock
- 24.09.2017North Korea: Nobody Except Trump Himself Is on a 'Suicide Mission'
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans