Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
Azerbaijan is deeply concerned over wars and armed conflicts in a number of the OIC Member said Azerbaijani Foreign Minister Elmar Mammadyarov at the at Organisation of Islamic Cooperation.
“First of all I would like to point that, according to the order of President of the Republic of Azerbaijan H.E. Mr.Ilham Aliyev 100 tons of humanitarian aid has been sent to help Rohingya Muslims of Myanmar who are suffering at the result of ongoing mass violence. The current situation regarding misunderstanding of Islam in some parts of World confirms vital necessity to strengthen our joint actions to counter Islamophobia. We are pleased to see the growing international support for the State of Palestine. I would like to reaffirm Azerbaijan’s full support to the brotherly people of Palestine in their struggle for
achieving peace, stability and sustainable development. Azerbaijan consistently stands for the two-state solution of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with East Jerusalem as the capital of the State of Palestine. 20-21 July 2017 we hosted International Conference on the Question of Yerusalem in Baku, with the participation of Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestine People, United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, the Organization of Islamic Cooperation and representatives of other non-governmental and civil society organizations which has been concluded with the introduction of a communiqué on behalf of its organizers condemning the recent closure of the Al-Aqsa Mosque and restrictions on worshippers therein .
Azerbaijani minister expressed gratitude on behalf of my Government and people of Azerbaijan to our Organization and its member states for full support to the just position of Azerbaijan with regard to the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against Republic of Azerbaijan, which resulted with 20% of Azerbaijani lands under occupation with notorious ethnic cleansing of 1 million Azerbaijanis from the places of their origin:
“The Republic of Azerbaijan once again underlines that it shall never reconcile with the
occupation of its territories. The resolution of the conflict is possible only on the basis of the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Azerbaijan within its internationally recognized borders. In this regards, we also welcome the report of the meeting of the OIC Contact Group on the aggression of the Republic of Armenia against Republic of Azerbaijan, which was held here in the UN headquarters on September 19, 2017.
The statements and warmongering rhetoric of political-military leadership of Armenia and the attempts to boycott and precondition the substantive negotiations indicate the apparent unwillingness of the Armenia to engage constructively for the settlement of conflict. As you know, this year we marked the 25th anniversary of Khojaly Genocide with a heavy heart. Over the night of the 25 to 26 February 1992, following massive artillery bombardment of Khojaly, the assault on the town began from various directions. As a result of which, the armed forces of Armenia, with the help of the infantry guards regiment No.366 of the former Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR), implemented the seizure of Khojaly. Invaders destroyed Khojaly and with the particular brutality implemented carnage over its peaceful population. As a result, 613 civilians were killed, including 106 women, 63 children and 70 elderly. Another 1000 people were wounded and 1275 taken hostage. To this day, 150 people from Khojaly remain missing.
Taking the opportunity I would like once again to express my gratitude to the Secretary General of OIC Mr. Yusef bin Ahmad Al-Othaimeen and the member states for the fair position and support in the adoption of the resolutions entitled “The aggression of the Republic of Armenia against the Republic of Azerbaijan”, “On the solidarity with the victims of the Khojaly massacre of 1992”, “Destruction of monuments belonging to Islamic history and culture in the occupied territories of Azerbaijan as a result of Armenia’s aggression against Azerbaijan” and other documents within the 44th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of OIC passed on July 10- 11, 2017 in Abidjan. ”
Mammadyarov noted that 2017 was declared as Year of Islamic Solidarity by the decree of the President of Azerbaijan Ilham Aliyev: “This Year has been a successful year for us in regard of the reinforcing of the Islamic solidarity. We were very glad to host OIC Secretary General and other high representatives of member states in the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue and 4th Islamic Solidarity Games in Baku. We were honored and hoping that all our efforts will help to reinforce the bonds of unity, amity and fraternity between Muslims."
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 06.01.2018U.N. meeting on Iran protests called by U.S. criticized at Security Council
- 06.01.2018U.N. Security Council meeting on protests a Trump 'foreign policy blunder': Iran
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 23.09.2017Earthquake-hit Mexico struck by 6.1 aftershock
- 24.09.2017North Korea: Nobody Except Trump Himself Is on a 'Suicide Mission'
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans