At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
Five victims have been killed as massive mudflows brought on by heavy rainfall paralyzed major transit routes in southern California, authorities said Tuesday, APA reports quoting BBC.
The Santa Barabara Sherriff's Office confirmed the deaths to Anadolu Agency but did not have additional information immediately available.
Mike Eliason, a spokesman with the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, said "multiple" rescue operations are underway in Montecito, which lies just east of Santa Barbara along the popular north-south 101 freeway.
"Heavy rains have triggered massive runoff in the Montecito area," Eliason said in a series of tweets that worned residents to avoid the area that is "waist deep" mudflows in some locations.
Footage posted by Eliason show first responders covered in thick black mud as they conduct rescue operations, surrounded by mass damage including toppled trees and power poles.
A woman was pulled out of a debris pile by firefighters, and a 14-year-old girl was saved from a destroyed home in Montecito, Eliason said.
Authorities had issued evacuation orders for seven thousand people in the area, and warned an additional 23,000 to leave as rains approached.
The heavy rain is affecting locations that had previously been devastated by some of the worst wildfires in California history, increasing worries about the possibility of mudslides in the freshly burned areas.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Los Angeles Police Arrest Man Barricaded at Trader Joe's Grocery Store
- 21.07.2018Ecuador to withdraw asylum for Julian Assange
- 21.07.2018Ex-Colombian guerrillas sworn into Congress
- 21.07.2018Missouri boat accident kills 17, including nine from one family
- 21.07.2018U.S. urges strict U.N. sanctions until North Korea acts on denuclearization
- 20.07.2018Trump, Putin discussed Syria crisis, returning refugees: Pompeo
- 20.07.2018US: Mattis opposes bid to remove Turkey from F-35 program
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Possible Trump-Putin meeting in Washington 'All to the Good'
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans