At least 26 dead, hospitalized in Mexico shootout
At least 26 people were dead or hospitalized after a shootout in the northern Mexican border state of Chihuahua on Wednesday, the state attorney general's office said, as drug violence surges in one of Mexico's bloodiest years on record, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The shootout took place near the mountainous community of Las Varas, in the heart of one of Mexico's drug trafficking regions, and it involved two armed groups. It was unclear how many of the victims were dead and how many were alive at hospitals, spokesman Felix Gonzalez told Reuters.
President Enrique Pena Nieto came to office in 2012 vowing to end years of drug violence, and although the murder rate fell initially, it has been rising steadily and is on track to hit its highest level since recent government records began in 1997.
The shootout coincided with U.S. Secretary of Homeland Security John Kelly visiting Mexico to meet with Pena Nieto and to discuss cooperation in fighting organized crime.
More than 100,000 people have died in drug-related violence since 2007 when former President Felipe Calderon sent in the military to battle the cartels, and at least 30,000 people are missing.
Last Friday, 17 people died in a shootout with police in the neighboring state of Sinaloa. Relatives of some of those people believe they may have been executed by the police, a charge officials deny.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 17.04.2018U.S. bans American companies from selling to Chinese phone maker ZTE
- 16.04.2018U.S. military chiefs to brief Congress on Syria behind closed doors
- 16.04.20187 inmates dead, 17 injured after hours of rioting at South Carolina prison
- 15.04.2018UN chief warns of full-blown military escalation over Syria attacks
- 15.04.2018Pence calls for more action to isolate Venezuela's Maduro
- 14.04.2018UNSC fails to adopt Russia-drafted resolution condemning Syria strike
- 14.04.2018NATO calls on Damascus allies to exercise responsibility after US-Led attack
- 14.04.2018U.S. strikes cripple Syria's chemical weapons ability: Pentagon
- 06.07.2017UN chief to return to Cyprus talks
- 06.07.2017FARC splinter group releases UN worker in Colombia
- 06.07.2017Tillerson says important for Trump, Putin to have good exchange
- 06.07.2017U.S. military says it can counter new North Korean missile threat
- 05.07.2017Rex Tillerson: "North Korea's ICBM is new escalation of the threat" to the US and the world"
- 05.07.2017UN Security Council’s meeting on N.Korea to take place wednesday – US Mission