American college graduate beaten to death in Greece
An American tourist was beaten to death by a group of 10 men while visiting a Greek island in the Mediterranean, APA reports citing CNN.
Bakari Henderson, 22, was at a bar in the Greek island of Zakynthos with his friends Friday when a man approached him and they began fighting, according to state news agency ANA-MPA.
The fight escalated into a brawl on the streets after the bar's security asked the men to leave, ANA-MPA reported.
Two people, a 32-year-old Serbian and a 34-year-old Greek national, have been arrested. Police are searching for others who may be involved.
Zakynthos, an island in the west coast of mainland Greece, is popular among tourists for its cliffside beaches and sea caves.
"Greek police in Zakynthos notified the US Embassy of the death of a US citizen in the early morning hours of Friday," the US State Department said in a statement.
Henderson recently graduated from the University of Arizona with a bachelor's degree in business finance and entrepreneurship, according to his Linkedin profile.
He was in Greece working on a photo shoot to launch a new clothing line when the incident took place, his family told CNN affiliate KXAN.
"Bakari loved spending time with family and friends, traveling, and meeting new people. He was a big thinker and enjoyed coming up with new business ventures. Bakari was an inspiration to all he met. He loved life and lived it to the fullest," the Henderson family said in statement to the affiliate.
University of Arizona President Robert C. Robbins expressed his condolences in a statement.
"All of us at the University of Arizona are shocked and saddened by the loss of our recent graduate, Bakari Henderson. Our hearts and prayers are with his friends and family," Robbins said. "I can only imagine the deep sense of loss they must be feeling at his untimely death. It is always a tragedy when a young life ends before it has really yet to begin."
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017CNN: Tillerson Considers Resigning
- 25.07.2017U.S. judge halts deportation of more than 1,400 Iraqi nationals
- 25.07.2017US scientists find evidence of water inside moon
- 25.07.2017Colombian FARC to formally enter politics
- 24.07.2017Four shot dead, 11 hurt in drug-related Paraguay disco shooting
- 23.07.2017Trump says he has ‘Complete Power’ to pardon
- 23.07.2017Venezuelan opposition announces new anti-Maduro strike
- 23.07.2017UN Security Council to hold urgent meeting on Jerusalem
- 22.07.2017US congress proposes $250mln for allies to counter Russian influence
- 22.07.2017Trump warns Iran over detained Americans: White House
- 22.07.2017US Defense Secretary says Daesh chief likely alive
- 21.07.2017US to prohibit citizens from traveling to North Korea
- 21.07.2017Sean Spicer resigns as White House spokesman
- 21.07.2017Brazil to raise taxes, freeze spending to meet target
- 21.07.2017UN treaty on nuclear arms ban may hinder IAEA work - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 21.07.2017Millions heed anti-Maduro shutdown in Venezuela
- 20.07.2017Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington commits suicide in his 41
- 20.07.2017Trump's son, close associates to appear before Senate
- 20.07.2017Trump cancels military support for Syrian rebels
- 20.07.2017Senator McCain diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer
- 20.07.2017U.S., Canada, Mexico agree on fast-paced NAFTA talks
- 19.07.2017U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in latest travel ban fight
- 19.07.2017Number of terrorist attacks globally dropped in 2016: U.S. government
- 19.07.2017Mexico concerned with US desire to cut trade deficits
- 19.07.2017Trump, Putin met for nearly an hour in second G20 meeting
- 19.07.2017U.S. prepares sanctions against senior Venezuelan officials
- 19.07.2017US Senate to Hold Hearings on Individual Health Insurance Market
- 18.07.2017U.S. puts new sanctions on Iran over ballistic missile program
- 18.07.2017Strong earthquake strikes off Peru, no tsunami risk seen
- 18.07.2017Tillerson Recertifies Iran's compliance to nuclear agreement
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death
- 15.07.2017Trump, Saudi king discuss resolution of Qatar row
- 11.07.2017Trump administration delays startup visa rules
- 11.07.2017US military plane crashes in State of Mississippi, Kills 16
- 11.07.2017Over 14,000 people evacuated in Western Canada over wildfires
- 08.07.2017Relations with the U.S. cannot be defined by 'murmurs': Mexico president
- 08.07.2017Venezuelan opposition leader Lopez granted house arrest
- 08.07.2017Trump: Meeting with Putin was ‘tremendous’