American college graduate beaten to death in Greece
An American tourist was beaten to death by a group of 10 men while visiting a Greek island in the Mediterranean, APA reports citing CNN.
Bakari Henderson, 22, was at a bar in the Greek island of Zakynthos with his friends Friday when a man approached him and they began fighting, according to state news agency ANA-MPA.
The fight escalated into a brawl on the streets after the bar's security asked the men to leave, ANA-MPA reported.
Two people, a 32-year-old Serbian and a 34-year-old Greek national, have been arrested. Police are searching for others who may be involved.
Zakynthos, an island in the west coast of mainland Greece, is popular among tourists for its cliffside beaches and sea caves.
"Greek police in Zakynthos notified the US Embassy of the death of a US citizen in the early morning hours of Friday," the US State Department said in a statement.
Henderson recently graduated from the University of Arizona with a bachelor's degree in business finance and entrepreneurship, according to his Linkedin profile.
He was in Greece working on a photo shoot to launch a new clothing line when the incident took place, his family told CNN affiliate KXAN.
"Bakari loved spending time with family and friends, traveling, and meeting new people. He was a big thinker and enjoyed coming up with new business ventures. Bakari was an inspiration to all he met. He loved life and lived it to the fullest," the Henderson family said in statement to the affiliate.
University of Arizona President Robert C. Robbins expressed his condolences in a statement.
"All of us at the University of Arizona are shocked and saddened by the loss of our recent graduate, Bakari Henderson. Our hearts and prayers are with his friends and family," Robbins said. "I can only imagine the deep sense of loss they must be feeling at his untimely death. It is always a tragedy when a young life ends before it has really yet to begin."
Related news releases
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 15.09.2017UN chief condemns North Korea’s latest missile test
- 15.09.2017Trump says internet must be ‘cut off’ to stop further terror attacks
- 15.09.2017UN Security Council to meet amid North Korea’s missile launch
- 15.09.20171 soldier killed, 7 wounded at U.S. military base
- 15.09.2017Hurricane Max downgraded to tropical storm, moves inland over Mexico
- 15.09.2017Trump repeats equivocal Charlottesville rhetoric after meeting with black senator
- 15.09.2017American fighting for ISIL captured in Syria
- 15.09.2017Lawsuit accuses Google of discriminating against women in pay, promotions
- 14.09.2017Tillerson urges more pressure on North Korea
- 14.09.2017Trump says he is close to a deal with Democrats on immigration
- 14.09.2017US imposes new Iran sanctions over ballistic missile program, 'cyberattacks' - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Trump administration orders purge of Kaspersky products from U.S. government
- 14.09.2017Gunman in Washington state high school shooting was student - UPDATED
- 14.09.2017Training accident leaves 15 US marines injured at Camp Pendleton
- 13.09.2017Trump administration sued over warrantless searches
- 13.09.2017US notes positively Mehman Aliyev’s release
- 13.09.2017U.N.'s Guterres calls on Myanmar to end violence
- 11.07.2017Trump administration delays startup visa rules
- 11.07.2017US military plane crashes in State of Mississippi, Kills 16
- 11.07.2017Over 14,000 people evacuated in Western Canada over wildfires
- 08.07.2017Relations with the U.S. cannot be defined by 'murmurs': Mexico president
- 08.07.2017Venezuelan opposition leader Lopez granted house arrest
- 08.07.2017Trump: Meeting with Putin was ‘tremendous’