Adverse weather conditions leave 19 dead in U.S.
CBS News has confirmed that at least 19 people have died in the US from the blast of winter weather and accompanying cold temperatures.
More than 100,000 customers lost power in the winter storm that's blanketed the East Coast with heavy snow and hurricane-force winds.
In the New England states, Massachusetts was hit with more than 22,000 outages Thursday afternoon. Scattered power outages were reported in New Hampshire and Rhode Island. Maine reported 4,400 outages.
About 6,300 customers lost power on Long Island on Thursday afternoon, but crews quickly restored more than 2,000 as of early Thursday evening.
Virginia had a peak of 45,000 outages, with about half restored as of early Thursday afternoon. The Carolinas experienced about 30,000 outages at its peak on Wednesday.
Forecasters expect the storm to be followed immediately by a blast of face-stinging cold air that could break records in more than two dozen cities this weekend.
Flights suspended at John F. Kennedy International Airport because of Thursday's massive snowstorm resumed Friday. Flights were suspended at JFK due to strong winds and whiteout conditions.
Air traffic suspensions at LaGuardia Airport have been lifted, but authorities advise passengers to contact their airlines regarding specific flights.
The flight-tracking site FlightAware reports nearly 5,000 canceled flights across the United States. Those flights include more than two-thirds of flights in and out of New York City and Boston airports.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Los Angeles Police Arrest Man Barricaded at Trader Joe's Grocery Store
- 21.07.2018Ecuador to withdraw asylum for Julian Assange
- 21.07.2018Ex-Colombian guerrillas sworn into Congress
- 21.07.2018Missouri boat accident kills 17, including nine from one family
- 21.07.2018U.S. urges strict U.N. sanctions until North Korea acts on denuclearization
- 20.07.2018Trump, Putin discussed Syria crisis, returning refugees: Pompeo
- 20.07.2018US: Mattis opposes bid to remove Turkey from F-35 program
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Possible Trump-Putin meeting in Washington 'All to the Good'
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 06.01.2018Risks to US oil supply at lowest point since 1970s
- 06.01.2018US says Iran ‘on notice’ at Security Council meeting
- 06.01.2018Airliners collide at Toronto's Pearson Airport, passengers safe
- 05.01.2018Justice Dept launches new Clinton Foundation probe
- 05.01.2018UN Security Council today to hold emergency meeting on Iran
- 05.01.2018US sanctions five entities tied to Iran's weapons program