A man arrested after LA schools threatened
Baku-APA. A man was arrested and nine guns, including rifles, were seized after Los Angeles elementary schools were threatened in one of several disturbing social media posts made around the country after the killings in Connecticut, police said Monday, APA reports quoting Associated Press.
In Los Angeles, Kyle Bangayan, 24, of Pomona was booked into the downtown jail Sunday for investigation of making criminal threats, police Cmdr. Andrew Smith said. He remained in jail with bail set at $500,000.
Police and FBI agents went to the east Hollywood home of Bangayan's father after a resident notified authorities about the threatening postings that referred to the deadly school shootings in Connecticut, Smith said.
"When we get information like this, we take it very seriously, even more so now in light of the Connecticut school shootings," Smith said.
On Friday, Adam Lanza, 20, shot and killed 20 children and six adults before killing himself at Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown, Conn.
Several social media threats led to arrests nationwide since the shootings.
Investigators in Springfield, Ohio, said an 18-year-old man was arrested on Sunday after writing on a Facebook post that he was sick of Connecticut shooting comments and they made him want to shoot kids himself.
A teenager in Columbia, Tenn., was arrested during the weekend after someone posted a message on Facebook saying the person felt like going on a rampage after the Connecticut killings. The 19-year-old suspect remains in jail.
In Los Angeles, the names of the elementary schools and details about the threats were not immediately released.
Detectives and the FBI were still investigating.
The joint investigation has been turned over to Los Angeles police, and there won't be any federal charges, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.
When police and FBI agents arrived at the east Hollywood home, the suspect's father gave permission for a search, authorities said.
Nine weapons and ammunition were confiscated, including rifles, a shotgun and handguns, authorities said.
It's not yet known if the weapons belonged to the father or the suspect. No weapons were found at Bangayan's residence in Pomona.
The father's telephone number is unlisted. There is no listing for Kyle Bangayan in Pomona.
The home is in a working-class neighborhood about eight miles northwest of downtown Los Angeles. Pomona is about 30 miles to the east.
Related news releases
- 21.10.201612 killed in Costa Rica bus accident
- 21.10.2016Trump says he will accept election result - if he wins
- 21.10.2016Multiple deaths confirmed in fire in US State of Nebraska
- 21.10.2016Obama calls Trump's election rhetoric dangerous
- 21.10.2016World Bank raises 2017 crude price forecast
- 21.10.2016Venezuela Joins International Charter on Space, Major Disasters
- 20.10.2016U.S. to deploy controversial anti-missile system to South Korea "as soon as possible": Kerry
- 20.10.2016U.S. vows all-out defense against 'grave' North Korean threat
- 19.10.2016Man dies after exploding pipe bomb outside California health clinic
- 19.10.2016Oil rises on reported US crude inventory draw, expected OPEC cut
- 19.10.20164 shot outside San Francisco schools
- 19.10.2016Ecuador admits to cutting internet access for WikiLeaks' Assange
- 19.10.2016Venezuela delays state elections to 2017
- 18.10.2016Obama: "İSİS faces defeat in Mosul"
- 18.10.2016Hillary Clinton would beat Donald Trump, poll finds
- 18.10.2016Prison gang clashes kill 18 in N. Brazil
- 17.10.201625 inmates killed in Brazil prison clash
- 16.10.2016At least 4 dead, 8 hurt after truck drives off California bridge
- 16.10.20163 dead, 12 wounded in gunfire at Los Angeles restaurant
- 16.10.2016Trump challenges Clinton to drug test before next debate
- 16.10.2016The operation to retake Mosul not to be begun - Pentagon
- 16.10.2016U.S. detects failed North Korean missile test - Pentagon
- 15.10.2016U.S. bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones from air travel
- 15.10.2016US prepped for massive cyber assault on Russia
- 15.10.2016Argentina demands UK halts military exercise in disputed Falklands
- 15.10.2016U.S. broadens Syria talks after failure of truce deal with Russia
- 15.10.2016Ex-Premier of Canada’s Alberta Jim Prentice among four killed in plane crash
- 14.10.2016Colombian President Announced Extension of Ceasefire With FARC
- 14.10.2016US opposes PKK involvement in Mosul operation
- 14.10.2016Hurricane Matthew closes schools for thousands of Haiti's children
- 14.10.2016Suspect in NY, NJ bombings pleads not guilty
- 13.10.2016US should increase sanctions to protect national security - US official
- 13.10.2016US military strikes in Yemen not part of broader conflict - Pentagon
- 13.10.2016US strikes radar sites in Yemen in response to missile attack on destroyer
- 13.10.2016Colombia's FARC rebel leader sees solution to peace impasse soon
- 13.10.2016US Fed officials more divided on rate hike
- 13.10.2016US ship again targeted by missile from Yemeni coast
- 12.10.20163 FETO-linked California schools face closure
- 12.10.2016Kerry and Lavrov to resume talks on Syria despite war crimes row
- 12.10.2016US poised to respond to alleged Russian hack
- 18.12.2012U.S. energy exports increase, imports decline: report
- 18.12.2012UN mission increases patrols in DRC's Goma
- 18.12.2012UN reports "sharp slowdown" of world trade
- 18.12.2012UN Security Council extends office of ombudsperson under Al-Qaida, Taliban Sanctions Committee
- 18.12.2012World’s Oldest Person Dies in US at Age 115
- 17.12.2012At least 26 people killed in traffic accident in Colombia