A 5.1 magnitude quake kills at least one in El Salvador, caps off barrage of tremors
A National Civil Police spokesperson said the death came about when a rock slammed into a vehicle driving on the highway west of the nation's capital and largest city, San Salvador.
Jorge Antonio Melendez Lopez, the Director General of Civil Protection, has declared a state of emergency and urged citizens to remain calm. "As we have had a 5.1-strength earthquake at a fairly shallow level of four kilometers [2.5 miles] we have decided to raise the level of alert to orange, meaning search and rescue operations," he said in a radio statement.
Social media users have reported landslides and rockslides in the wake of the quake. Traffic jams and power failures have also been reported.
A barrage of earthquakes struck El Salvador the night before, with 13 in total over Sunday night. Of those, four were perceptible and the largest of them registered a magnitude of 3.9. The first earthquake was felt at 8:17 PM local time, and the temblors continued through the night.
Emergency services immediately leaped to action to maintain order and help anyone affected by the quakes. However, no injuries were reported and there was no apparent damage to any public infrastructure.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 12.04.2017US warns Assad, Russia on future chemical attacks
- 12.04.2017Russia vetoes U.N. resolution on Syria attack, China abstains
- 13.04.2017Trump, NATO chief hold joint news conference
- 12.04.2017Pentagon Wants More F-35s for Less
- 11.04.2017UN confirms Syrian ceasefire and humanitarian task forces to meet on April 13
- 11.04.2017Tillerson: Assad's reign in Syria 'coming to an end'