14 dead in Colombia landslides
At least 14 people are confirmed dead Wednesday and 20 others missing after heavy rains have caused landslides in Manizales, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
An estimated 70 families have been effected and 30 homes destroyed in the city of 400,000 residents just 180 miles (290 kilometers) west of Bogota when a landslide struck at 6.45 a.m. (1145GMT) Wednesday.
Roads leading to Manizales have been blocked with debris making the city unreachable and the airport is closed due to poor conditions.
Mayor Jose Octavio Cardona told W Radio the rains are “the heaviest to have happened in recent years,” and that “landslides are occurring every five to 10 minutes in various sectors,” of the city.
Local meteorological said more than 15 centimeters (6 inches) of rain fell Tuesday night and Wednesday morning -- equivalent to one month of rainfall in the mountainous region.
Schools have been closed and roads remain blocked as rescue services try to reach affected areas. Rain is forecast for the next two days
President Juan Manuel Santos announced via Twitter he would go to the affected area but current conditions forced him to reroute his flight to nearby Medellin and from there he will be transferred to Manizales.
Colombia’s varied and mountainous geography is no stranger to landslides and other natural disasters.
This latest catastrophe comes on the heels of the destruction of much of the southern city of Mocoa where 323 victims were killed after three rivers breached their banks following heavy rains April 1.
As for Wednesday, 103 people are still missing.
Related news releases
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.01.2018Fed's Kashkari: Keep interest rates low to boost wages, inflation
- 09.01.2018Pentagon Chief: Iranian people are ‘fed up with’ revolutionary regime
- 09.01.2018US ending temporary residence for 200,000 Salvadorans
- 08.01.2018Two injured in fire at New York's Trump Tower - UPDATED
- 07.01.2018Trump hopes Korea talks extend beyond Olympics
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree