14 dead in Colombia landslides
At least 14 people are confirmed dead Wednesday and 20 others missing after heavy rains have caused landslides in Manizales, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
An estimated 70 families have been effected and 30 homes destroyed in the city of 400,000 residents just 180 miles (290 kilometers) west of Bogota when a landslide struck at 6.45 a.m. (1145GMT) Wednesday.
Roads leading to Manizales have been blocked with debris making the city unreachable and the airport is closed due to poor conditions.
Mayor Jose Octavio Cardona told W Radio the rains are “the heaviest to have happened in recent years,” and that “landslides are occurring every five to 10 minutes in various sectors,” of the city.
Local meteorological said more than 15 centimeters (6 inches) of rain fell Tuesday night and Wednesday morning -- equivalent to one month of rainfall in the mountainous region.
Schools have been closed and roads remain blocked as rescue services try to reach affected areas. Rain is forecast for the next two days
President Juan Manuel Santos announced via Twitter he would go to the affected area but current conditions forced him to reroute his flight to nearby Medellin and from there he will be transferred to Manizales.
Colombia’s varied and mountainous geography is no stranger to landslides and other natural disasters.
This latest catastrophe comes on the heels of the destruction of much of the southern city of Mocoa where 323 victims were killed after three rivers breached their banks following heavy rains April 1.
As for Wednesday, 103 people are still missing.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Trump blocking critics on Twitter violates Constitution: U.S. judge
- 24.05.2018US: Pompeo says China incident matches Cuba 'attacks'
- 24.05.2018Trump says will know next week if North Korea summit to go ahead
- 24.05.2018Pompeo: U.S. will walk away from North Korea summit rather than take bad deal
- 24.05.2018U.N. Security Council approves North Korea travel to Singapore: diplomats
- 23.05.2018One killed, a dozen injured in fireworks storage blast in Spain
- 23.05.2018US Treasury vows to cancel sanctions against Russia's GAZ Group
- 23.05.2018White House continues with preparations for Trump-Kim summit
- 23.05.2018White House: US Intel Community to brief Republicans on Russiagate
- 22.05.2018Venezuela expels US diplomat over 'conspiring' against government
- 22.05.2018OPEC may decide to ease oil supply curbs in June
- 22.05.2018Facebook's Zuckerberg to apologise to EU lawmakers over data leak
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree