Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
Zambian President Edgar Lungu said Thursday he would not hesitate to declare an emergency rule unless people stopped damaging public property as a way of rebelling against his leadership, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Lungu told journalists in the tourist capital, Livingstone, that lately some people had been deliberately setting fire to public buildings housing government officers.
"If these acts of sabotage continue, I will not hesitate to declare a state of emergency and have all those people setting public building on fire arrested.
"If these people think I am joking, let them dare me and continue setting public buildings on fire," the president warned.
The president was reacting to an outbreak of mysterious fires targeting government buildings. Over the last weekend alone, not only 120 market stalls got burnt in Lusaka but also five court buildings across the country and one hostel at Chalimbana University in Chongwe were set ablaze.
The latest building to catch fire was a court building earlier on Thursday in Mongu, the provincial capital of western Zambia.
The police suspect the fires were deliberately started by unknown people to cause panic and alarm in the country.
Inspector General of Police Kanganja Kakoma told journalists over the weekend that the police were investigating the cause of the fires.
"We want to establish the motive people have of setting public buildings on fire," he said.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018More than 90 Nigerian schoolgirls missing after Boko Haram attack: sources
- 21.02.2018Mali: 2 French soldiers killed in attack
- 20.02.2018More than 300 migrants intercepted in boats off Libya: coastguard
- 17.02.2018Nigeria: 22 killed in multiple suicide bombings - UPDATED
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia government has lost authority, all parties must help guide reforms: opposition
- 17.02.2018Congo says six soldiers killed in clash with Rwandan army
- 17.02.2018Ethiopia declares state of emergency, martial law
- 15.02.2018South African parliament to elect new president today
- 15.02.2018Zuma quits, ending scandal-plagued term as South African president
- 14.02.2018Sudan, S. Sudan resume cross-border trade after 7 years
- 14.02.2018At least 19 migrants killed in Libya car crash
- 14.02.201822 Nigerian students killed in road mishap
- 11.02.2018Over 10 Nigerian hostages rescued from suspected Boko Haram terrorists
- 10.02.2018Bombing at mosque in Libya's Benghazi kills two, wounds 75: medics
- 07.02.2018Tunisian soldier killed in helicopter crash
- 06.02.2018At least 30 dead in ethnic violence in northeast Congo
- 04.02.2018Russian MP warns new US nuclear doctrine heightens arms race risk
- 04.02.2018Miners' protest raises political temperature in Morocco
- 01.02.20185 dead, 39 injured in multiple explosions in Nigeria
- 31.01.2018Sochi talks end, constitutional committee to be formed
- 28.01.2018Gunmen kill at least 14 Mali soldiers in attack on army camp
- 28.01.2018Africa most affected by food insecurity, says UN chief
- 25.01.2018Nigeria confirms 16 dead in Lassa fever outbreak
- 24.01.2018At least 27 dead in twin Benghazi car bombs
- 23.01.2018Egyptian army arrests former chief of staff over presidential bid
- 23.01.2018Morocco's king appoints five new ministers
- 23.01.2018Former football player sworn in as Liberia's president
- 19.01.2018Libyan forces launch operation against militants
- 19.01.2018Zimbabwe opposition leader Roy Bennett killed in U.S. helicopter crash
- 18.01.2018Egypt appoints new intelligence chief
- 17.01.2018Kidnappers abduct American, Canadian in Nigeria, two police killed: police official
- 17.01.2018Suspected Boko Haram suicide bombers kill 12
- 16.01.2018At least 20 dead as clashes shut airport in Libyan capital
- 15.01.2018Clashes in Tripoli kill 11, closes airport - UPDATED
- 11.01.2018Tunisian police clash with protesters in at least five towns
- 10.01.2018Tunisian police fire tear gas on protesters storming Carrefour market in Tunis
- 09.01.2018Madagascar cyclone kills 29, displaces thousands
- 09.01.2018Tunisian protester killed in clashes with police
- 09.01.2018Nigeria fighter jet crashes in anti-Boko Haram mission
- 07.01.2018Gunmen kill 13 in Senegal's Casamance region
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt