Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
Zambian President Edgar Lungu said Thursday he would not hesitate to declare an emergency rule unless people stopped damaging public property as a way of rebelling against his leadership, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Lungu told journalists in the tourist capital, Livingstone, that lately some people had been deliberately setting fire to public buildings housing government officers.
"If these acts of sabotage continue, I will not hesitate to declare a state of emergency and have all those people setting public building on fire arrested.
"If these people think I am joking, let them dare me and continue setting public buildings on fire," the president warned.
The president was reacting to an outbreak of mysterious fires targeting government buildings. Over the last weekend alone, not only 120 market stalls got burnt in Lusaka but also five court buildings across the country and one hostel at Chalimbana University in Chongwe were set ablaze.
The latest building to catch fire was a court building earlier on Thursday in Mongu, the provincial capital of western Zambia.
The police suspect the fires were deliberately started by unknown people to cause panic and alarm in the country.
Inspector General of Police Kanganja Kakoma told journalists over the weekend that the police were investigating the cause of the fires.
"We want to establish the motive people have of setting public buildings on fire," he said.
Related news releases
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt