Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
Zambia's President Edgar Lungu and jailed main opposition leader, Hakainde Hichilema have agreed to meet and dialogue to end months of rivalry following last August's disputed presidential election, a Commonwealth official said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Secretary-General Patricia Scotland told a media conference in capital Lusaka that she had met the two warring leaders at different times to discuss the possibilities of finding a common ground in order to end political differences between the two.
"During the meetings, the two leaders expressed concerns which can only be resolved not only by reviewing, but also harmonizing the electoral law and the new constitution to meet the Commonwealth standards," she said.
Scotland added that the review of the electoral law and the constitution would be made during the dialogue which would be facilitated by a mediator sent by the intergovernmental organization.
"In the coming weeks, the Commonwealth Secretariat will appoint a mediator who will travel to Zambia facilitate the dialogue in Lusaka," she said.
The opposition United Party for National Development where Hichilema is president has been refusing to recognize the legitimacy of Lungu's election on Aug. 11, 2016 until a petition, which was rejected by the constitutional court on a technicality, is heard.
Hakainde Hichilema was jailed on April 10 after being accused of conspiring to overthrow the government.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 02.08.2017At least 34 killed in Madagascar bus crash
- 01.08.2017Somalia says kills senior al Shabaab commander in raid
- 01.08.2017Over 100 Tanzanians killed for witchcraft since January
- 30.07.2017Two killed in stampede at South African soccer match
- 30.07.2017Bomber kills 14 in northeast Nigeria, kidnapped oil team appear in video
- 27.07.2017German military helicopter crashes in Mali, two peacekeepers killed
- 27.07.2017Somalia: Clashes between military and spy units kill 6
- 26.07.2017New militia attack in Central African town kills two peacekeepers
- 25.07.2017Hundreds protest at Nigeria's parliament
- 22.07.2017Egypt says 30 suspected militants killed in Sinai raids
- 20.07.2017Dozens killed in Nigerian clashes
- 19.07.2017On Nelson Mandela Day, UN calls for actions to improve world
- 18.07.2017Egypt insists Qatar meets demands, sanctions to remain
- 16.07.2017At least 8 died, 49 injured in wall collapse at football stadium in Dakar
- 15.07.2017At least 14 killed in bus accident in central Ecuador
- 15.07.20173 soldiers killed amid mutiny in Ivory Coast military
- 14.07.2017Security measures boosted in Egypt’s Hurghada after hotel knife attack
- 14.07.2017Gunmen kill five Egyptian police south of Cairo
- 09.07.201780 African migrants rescued off Libyan coast
- 09.07.2017Egyptian police kill 16 gunmen in raids targeting militants
- 06.07.201713 al-Shabaab militants killed in southern Somalia
- 05.07.2017Migrants feared drowned off Morocco
- 04.07.2017Ghana mine collapse kills 14
- 28.06.2017At least 24 migrants die as thousands rescued in seas off Libya
- 27.06.2017Suicide bombers kill nine in Nigerian city of Maiduguri
- 25.06.2017Tens of thousands have fled violence in Congo Republic
- 24.06.2017Egypt's Sisi ratifies islands deal with Saudis
- 23.06.2017Nigeria deploys troops amid ethnic violence in Taraba
- 20.06.2017Four guests killed in Mali resort attack
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital