Zambian police detain opposition leader
Zambian opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema has been detained and questioned by police for committing treason, his lawyer said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Hichilema, an economist and wealthy businessman known as "HH", was defeated by President Edgar Lungu in an election last August, which he described as fraudulent. His attempts to mount a legal challenge have so far been unsuccessful.
On Tuesday Hichilema was taken in for questioning after his house was raided by the police.
"They have detained him for having committed treason along Limulunga road by obstructing the presidential motorcade," his lawyer Jack Mwiimbu told Reuters.
"We are definitely challenging the police action. We expect a formal charge tomorrow morning."
Police did not say why they had detained Hichilema.
"Obviously he will remain in detention," police spokeswoman Esther Mwaata Katongo told Reuters without elaborating.
A spokesman for Hichilema's United Party for National Development (UPND), Charles Kakoma, said police broke doors before raiding the opposition leader's house in an exclusive suburb of Lusaka.
He said police had blocked the access road to the residence but did not say what they were looking for.
"They broke the doors and teargassed the house," Kakoma said. "They left the home after picking him."
Mwiimbu said Hichilema was unwell after the raid.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Three dead after Sudan clashes over Bashir visit to south Darfur: U.N.
- 22.09.2017Former Muslim Brotherhood leader Mahdi Akef dies at 89
- 21.09.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya coast
- 21.09.2017Floods kill 12, more than 100 missing in DR Congo
- 19.09.2017UN agency: At least 39 killed in shooting attack in DR Congo
- 17.09.2017African Union backs constructive dialogue to resolve Gulf crisis
- 16.09.201730 Burundian refugees die in clashes with Congo security forces
- 14.09.201753 feared dead when boat capsizes in Nigeria
- 12.09.2017Floods cost Sierra Leone economy $30M: World Bank
- 12.09.2017Tunisia to hold confidence vote after cabinet reshuffle
- 09.09.2017Senegal announces new 39-minister cabinet
- 08.09.2017Suicide attack in Somalia restaurant kills 4
- 08.09.2017Egypt navy rescues 8 Egyptians, 9 Malaysians off Red Sea coast
- 07.09.2017US strike in Somalia kills 3 al-Shabaab militants
- 05.09.2017Explosion kills two UN peacekeepers in Mali
- 03.09.2017Seven girls killed in fire at Kenya high school
- 02.09.2017Kenyan president, election overturned by court, attacks judiciary
- 02.09.2017Somalia: Double explosions kill 4, injures dozens
- 27.08.201727 killed in Boko Haram attacks on Nigerian villages
- 24.08.2017Egyptian police kill two members of Muslim Brotherhood
- 24.08.2017Russian ambassador to Sudan found dead in swimming pool
- 23.08.2017At least 14 servicemen killed in clashes with Daesh in Southern Libya
- 22.08.2017Senegal restores its ambassador to Qatar
- 20.08.2017Togo protest turns bloody, 7 killed
- 18.08.2017Egypt re-closes border with Gaza after brief opening
- 15.08.20175 policemen killed in northeastern Kenya
- 15.08.2017At least 200 still missing in Sierra Leone mudslide
- 14.08.2017More than 200 killed in Sierra Leone as mudslide sweeps away homes
- 13.08.2017South Sudan rebels retake strategic town along Ethiopia border
- 12.08.2017Eleven dead as post-election unrest erupts in Kenya
- 12.08.2017Death toll from Egypt train crash reaches 49 - UPDATED
- 12.08.2017Kenya: President Kenyatta reelected for 5 more years
- 10.08.20174 people killed in helicopter crash in Algeria
- 10.08.2017Zambian president, opposition leader agree to dialogue
- 10.08.2017Post-election riots in Kenya kill 5
- 08.08.201731 fishermen killed in Boko Haram attack in Nigeria
- 05.08.2017Car bomb kills at least three in center of Somali capital
- 04.08.2017No Russian military specialists in Libya - Head of Russia's contact group
- 03.08.20173 killed in bus attack in SE Kenya
- 03.08.2017Nigeria: 7 killed in Boko Haram attack
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry