Zambian police detain opposition leader
Zambian opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema has been detained and questioned by police for committing treason, his lawyer said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Hichilema, an economist and wealthy businessman known as "HH", was defeated by President Edgar Lungu in an election last August, which he described as fraudulent. His attempts to mount a legal challenge have so far been unsuccessful.
On Tuesday Hichilema was taken in for questioning after his house was raided by the police.
"They have detained him for having committed treason along Limulunga road by obstructing the presidential motorcade," his lawyer Jack Mwiimbu told Reuters.
"We are definitely challenging the police action. We expect a formal charge tomorrow morning."
Police did not say why they had detained Hichilema.
"Obviously he will remain in detention," police spokeswoman Esther Mwaata Katongo told Reuters without elaborating.
A spokesman for Hichilema's United Party for National Development (UPND), Charles Kakoma, said police broke doors before raiding the opposition leader's house in an exclusive suburb of Lusaka.
He said police had blocked the access road to the residence but did not say what they were looking for.
"They broke the doors and teargassed the house," Kakoma said. "They left the home after picking him."
Mwiimbu said Hichilema was unwell after the raid.
Related news releases
- 25.04.2018At least 35 people killed in attack on village in southeast Nigeria
- 24.04.2018Heavy rains, landslides kill 18 in Rwanda
- 24.04.2018Two soldiers killed in Tunisia plane crash
- 20.04.2018Swaziland king renames country Kingdom of eSwatini
- 19.04.2018Libya interim govt’s military chief survives murder bid
- 16.04.20189 killed as floods hit Tanzania
- 15.04.2018Mali militants attack bases disguised as UN peacekeepers
- 11.04.2018Death toll in Algerian military plane crash climbs to 257 - UPDATED
- 10.04.2018South Sudan: Former top general launches rebel movement
- 08.04.2018Two dead, 70 wounded in Tunisia bus collision
- 07.04.2018Somalia: Double car bomb attacks kill 3 in Mogadishu
- 06.04.2018Dozens killed in Nigeria clash
- 05.04.2018Consultations begin in Libya in advance of peace talks
- 05.04.2018Ministers meet in Sudan to resume Nile dam talks
- 04.04.2018Muammar Gaddafi's son found not guilty of murder of Libyan footballer
- 03.04.2018AU forces kill 30 al-Shabaab in Somalia
- 30.03.20188 people killed by bomb-laden vehicle in eastern Libya
- 29.03.2018Egypt election: Sisi 'set to win second term as president’
- 29.03.2018Sudan announcea three-month extension of ongoing ceasefire
- 28.03.2018Ethiopia selected a new prime minister
- 27.03.2018Sierra Leone's delayed presidential run-off set for March 31
- 25.03.2018U.S. says killed two 'terrorists' in air strike in southern Libya
- 24.03.2018Bomb kills two in Alexandria ahead of Egypt presidential vote
- 22.03.2018Deadly car bomb blast rocks Somalia's capital Mogadishu
- 20.03.2018Gaddafi's Son Running for Libya’s Presidency
- 15.03.2018Zimbabwe's Mugabe says never thought Mnangagwa would turn against him
- 14.03.2018Russian Security Service busts ISIL-linked criminal group in Moscow
- 14.03.2018Nigeria sacks chief for delta region militants' amnesty
- 11.03.2018Court in Egypt Sentences 10 People to Death for Terrorism
- 09.03.2018Suicide car bombing injures 3 in eastern Libya
- 07.03.2018Grenade explosion kills 5 children in South Sudan
- 06.03.2018Tunisia prolongs state of emergency for 7 more months
- 05.03.2018Clashes in gold-rich area of Sudan leave one miner dead
- 04.03.2018Al Qaeda affiliate claims responsibility for Burkina Faso attacks
- 02.03.2018Suspected Boko Haram militants kill 11 including three aid workers in Nigeria
- 02.03.2018Ethnic clashes in northeastern Congo kill about 30: vice-governor
- 01.03.2018Erdogan arrives in Mauritania on 2nd leg of Africa tour
- 28.02.201815 killed in fresh violence in DR Congo
- 27.02.201837 militants killed in Cameroonian-Nigerian offensive
- 27.02.2018Morocco's king undergoes successful heart surgery
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry