Zambian police detain opposition leader
Zambian opposition leader Hakainde Hichilema has been detained and questioned by police for committing treason, his lawyer said on Tuesday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Hichilema, an economist and wealthy businessman known as "HH", was defeated by President Edgar Lungu in an election last August, which he described as fraudulent. His attempts to mount a legal challenge have so far been unsuccessful.
On Tuesday Hichilema was taken in for questioning after his house was raided by the police.
"They have detained him for having committed treason along Limulunga road by obstructing the presidential motorcade," his lawyer Jack Mwiimbu told Reuters.
"We are definitely challenging the police action. We expect a formal charge tomorrow morning."
Police did not say why they had detained Hichilema.
"Obviously he will remain in detention," police spokeswoman Esther Mwaata Katongo told Reuters without elaborating.
A spokesman for Hichilema's United Party for National Development (UPND), Charles Kakoma, said police broke doors before raiding the opposition leader's house in an exclusive suburb of Lusaka.
He said police had blocked the access road to the residence but did not say what they were looking for.
"They broke the doors and teargassed the house," Kakoma said. "They left the home after picking him."
Mwiimbu said Hichilema was unwell after the raid.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017400,000 children at risk of starvation in Congo: UNICEF
- 24.05.2017Al Shabaab bombing in Somali capital kills five, injures six
- 23.05.2017South Sudan shuts border with DR Congo over Ebola fears
- 23.05.2017S. African region declared disaster zone due to drought
- 21.05.20175,000 refugees rescued in 48 hours off Libya’s shores
- 20.05.2017Tunisia protesters shut oil transport pumping station
- 20.05.2017Death toll from Libya airbase attack rises to 140, defense chief suspended
- 19.05.2017Suicide bombers hit Nigerian university
- 19.05.2017Tunisia southern gas protests tense as negotiations falter
- 17.05.201727 killed in Nigeria gunmen attack
- 13.05.2017Sudan swears in new government
- 13.05.2017Democratic Republic of Congo hit by Ebola outbreak
- 12.05.2017Gambian police arrest former president’s 3 brothers
- 10.05.2017Egypt shuts down Rafah crossing at Gaza border after 4 days of open passage
- 10.05.2017South Sudan's president sacks army chief
- 08.05.2017Authorities kill 8 'terrorist elements' in Upper Egypt
- 08.05.2017Car bomb kills at least five in Somali capital
- 08.05.2017113 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libya: IOM
- 07.05.201782 School girls kidnapped by B'Haram in Nigeria freed
- 06.05.201735 pupils die in road accident in Tanzania - UPDATED
- 05.05.2017Attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali kills one peacekeeper
- 05.05.2017UN: Thousands of minors exploited in Boko Haram crisis
- 04.05.2017Somalia announces plan to defeat al-Shabaab
- 04.05.2017At least 9 peacekeepers injured in attack on UN mission’s camp in Mali
- 02.05.2017Eight Mali soldiers killed in ambush by suspected militants
- 29.04.201711 dead of mystery illness in Liberia as Ebola is ruled out
- 28.04.2017Egyptian opposition figure sentenced to 5 years in jail
- 27.04.2017Morocco parliament approves cabinet after months of uncertainty
- 27.04.2017Man killed in Kenya's heated election primaries
- 26.04.2017At least 9 people die of 'strange' disease in Liberia
- 21.04.2017Kenya military kills 52 al-Shabaab militants in Somalia
- 21.04.2017At least 20 children die in bus crash in South Africa
- 21.04.2017Zambian president threatens to declare emergency rule
- 19.04.2017Egypt receives second German-built attack submarine
- 18.04.2017Libya fishermen find 28 dead migrants in boat offshore
- 06.04.2017Sudan peace talks to resume in April: Chief negotiator
- 01.04.2017Zambia: 384 kg of illegal ivory seized, poachers nabbed
- 01.04.2017Five killed in western Tanzania heavy rains
- 26.03.2017Explosion kills 2 children in Kenya's border town
- 24.03.2017Second car bomb claims 2 lives in Somali capital
- 13.04.2017100 migrants missing after boat sinks off Libyan coast
- 13.04.2017Egypt's ministry of interior identifies Tanta church suicide bomber
- 18.04.20178 mummies and artefacts unearthed in a 3500-year-old tomb in Egypt
- 11.04.2017Egyptian parliament approves 3-month state of emergency
- 11.04.2017Militiamen raid South Sudan's Wau, at least 16 dead: witnesses, U.N.
- 11.04.2017Niger forces kill 57 members of Boko Haram: defense ministry